Chapter SIXTEEN

Chapter SIXTEEN

____________________

My Second dreamless sleep since the first time Shane attacked me. It was a nice feeling, waking in Colin's embrace. Hearing his heartbeat echoing in my ears and being able to feel the rise and fall of his chest underneath me.

I could feel the smile on my face as I tried to keep my eyes closed, I wanted this feeling to last forever.

"Kat?" His voice was quiet and unsure. I let out a sigh and opened my eyes, twisting my head to look up at him.

"Hey Colin." I replied, my voice hoarse with sleep and because of all the crying I'd been doing last night.

He smirked, giving my waist another squeeze as he leaned down to breath in my scent. Woah. Pushing him away slightly with a giggle I sat up and groaned. I'd forgotten about the stitches.

"Are you okay?" He asked, his voice dripping with the concern that was on his face.

"Yes, no, I guess I just forgot about these." I gestured to my back and groaned again.

"Want me to help you?" Colin asked as he hopped out of bed and held out his hands for me to take. I scooted closer to the edge of the bed and looked down at the cast that prevented me from walking. "Do you want me to carry you?"

He reached for me again and I shook my head, "No. I should be fine." I told him as I hopped on one foot to the bathroom, which is where I turned around and smiled at him. "See."

His laughter rang in my ears as I closed the door. As I glimpsed myself in the mirror, I noticed that I looked like a mess and the bruises were nasty all over my body. Averting my eyes I fixed my hair and splashed water on my face to make myself feel better.

"Ow. Ow. Ow." I groaned, my good leg cramping. "No. Please, no." I moaned in pain as I fell to the floor in a heap while I cradled my leg. I crawled to the door and made my way out that way.

"What are you doing?" Colin asked amusement in his voice.

"My leg gave out." I told him as I looked up to see his face. He was sitting on the edge of my bed with a smirk on his face as he watched me crawl back towards him. "Ow." I hissed again as I pulled myself up so I could sit on the bed.

"You okay?" He asked, this time with more concern than amusement

"Oh, I'm great." I told him as I let out a sigh, "These next few weeks are going to fly by."

He smiled, "It's okay, I'll be here to keep you company."

I twisted my thumbs and had to bit my lip to stop the smile from taking over my lips. I need to stay away from him for my own good but he was making it so damn hard.

"Good." I nodded finally, looking up at him from under my eyelashes. I heard his intake of breath as our eyes met. My face felt warm as the intensity of our eyes built.

Turning my head away from him I scooted back into the bed and grabbed some homework that I needed to do.

As promised Colin stayed with me most days and a week later I was finally cleared to go back to school. Just one day before Christmas break, which was great because I could catch up over Christmas instead of working twice as hard.

Colin and I were in the basement more, playing video games and watching pointless movies that we talked through and made fun of. We also read a ton together and Colin even finished our favorite story and had finally moved on to another one of my favorites.