Chapter TWENTY TWO

Chapter TWENTY TWO

_______________________

Kat's POV

A ringing was in my ear when I woke the next morning and I groaned as I reached out to stop it. Silencing my phone I rolled over and snuggled into my sister who was sleeping next to me.

"Kat?" I heard my mother's voice in my ear. "Katrina, Honey?" She shook my shoulders lightly.

"Huh?" I asked as I twisted in the sheets so I could look at her. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. Nothing." She shook her head quickly. "Gran and Gramp just have something they want to talk to you about before all the other kids wake up."

"Oh." I whispered a sinking feeling in my chest while my stomach knotted painfully.

I grabbed the clothes I'd worn yesterday, not really caring at this point, and threw them on. Before I left the room I pocketed my phone and made my way into the kitchen.

"What would you like for breakfast baby?" My Gran asked as soon as she heard me step a foot into the room.

"Um whatever's fine." I shrugged and took my seat at the high top bar. She handed me orange juice and started cooking something on the stove.

"How about French toast? You always used to love that." She smiled up at me.

I gave her a small grin and my body tensed at the reminder. I didn't like to remember the past, I just wanted to focus on the present and the future.

Grandad came in and grin brightly at me, "How's Kat this morning?"

"Okay." I told him and then waited for them to get to the point of waking me up so early. It was only silence for a few minutes until Gran placed the food in front of me. I sighed and stared at the food before I looked at them again.

"Mom said you wanted to talk to me."

They didn't look surprised or anything so I waited for them to speak. My phone in my pocket vibrated and I reached for it when my Grandad spoke.

"We talked it over with your mother and father and they feel, as do we, that you should move in here. With us."

"What?" I asked as my body froze while my brain took off into high speed. "What are you talking about?" My voice was barely above a whisper but they heard me.

Colin. What about Colin? What about the person I was with him? They honestly can't want me to feel this way forever, can they? At least with Colin I was more myself.

"Moving in with us." Gran told me softly as she watched my face carefully. I looked away from their piercing eyes as mine burned with tears.

It wasn't just leaving Colin that had my eyes watering, of course he was a HUGE part of that but I'd miss the one place I felt I belonged. I had friends there, I liked my classes and teachers, I liked pretty much everything about it. I'd miss my family the most.

My mother singing as she made dinner, my father reading his newspaper in the mornings, Chris and Tommy yelling at Hannah in the bathroom when she takes too long. I'd miss all the little things, the jokes and banter that made us close.

"We've talked about it at great length with your parents and we feel the best thing for you-." Gran tried to explain.

"No." I shook my head, "I can't. I can't leave my family Gran, I can't. I won't."