Chapter 3

As I was walking down the hall I noticed everyone's eyes were on me. I walk over to Jake and Vanessa who were in the midst of making out."Why is everyone staring at me?" I ask.
"Um...do you really want me to answer that?" I nodded urgently for him to get on with it.
"I just noticed that when you're angry you look crazy," Jake says.
"Would you just tell me?"

"You three are going to stop walking over me, you hear me? I'm going to practice." He says pecking her on the cheek and walking away. "Well, my cousin told everyone you never had a boyfriend...and he did this." She holds up the phone to show my sixth-grade mugshot of me looking...let's just say, a hot mess. Not really a mugshot but you get the point. I turn to look at everyone who starts to laugh.
"Where's your cousin?" I ask.
"Aria...don't, you're just gonna start."-

"Tell me where he is!" I yell staring daggers into her eyes.
"O-Kay...he's getting ready for practice." I smile, "thank you ttyl." I wave before walking I stop and turn to her.
"Where's the locker room?"

"Down the hall to the left."

"Thanks." I take the directions to heart and charge into the locker room.
"Hey, sweetheart."
I roll my eyes as the random dude walks towards me.
"Hey, baby."- I turn around to a shirtless guy. "Aria...w-what are you doing here?" Jake asks. I turn to him, my jaw slightly drops as I gaze upon his six-pack. I shake my head. "I'm...wow...I just thought you were skinny...but damn."-

"Aria?" He crosses his arms a bit concerned by my appealing stare.
"Where's Nick?"
He points to the back. "Thanks." I storm off. I walk in on his conversation.

He stops as he hears me and turns to me. "Oh hey, buttercup I was just talking about."- Smack!
His friends burst out with oohs and laughter once my hand left its mark on his face.
"Damn you have a good hand."

"I told you that stuff in confidence and you put my picture out there?!"

"Look it's not."-

Smack!

"Ms. Where are you supposed to be?" I walk off as if nothing had ever happened.
"Nicolas Lockwood keep your drama outside!"

"Sorry, sir...I won't happen again."

While fifth-period hit and I was writing in my notebook ignoring all the whispers and giggles.
"Alright, guys enough! We all have bad picture days give it a rest." I look up and turn to the sound of Nick's voice as he yells at everyone. "Mr. Lockwood. Hush!"

"Sorry."

After school, I walk out onto the track field with my gym shorts and a white tank top ready for cheer tryouts.
"Hey...ha...Aria." The cheer captain says. "Excuse me do I know you?"

"Oh, Aria this is Sara... I'm her co-captain." Vanessa says, always so cheery.
"I heard my man took you to school."
I nod, "yea because he ambushed."-

"I don't care. Just show me what you got." She says trying not to hear what I have to say. I roll my eyes.
"Don't worry...I got you." Vanessa stands in front of me and starts to dance a simple routine.
"Now you." So it was spin, smoothly hit a cartwheel, booty pop, and hit the splits. "Okay, that was nice."
I shrug, "no that was amazing. We should add her please Sara." Vanessa says almost begging
Sara sighs, "fine...you've made the team." Sara says almost resentful. I smile as Vanessa wraps her arms around me. "Yay! We're cheerleaders." Vanessa jumps up and down with excitement.
"Don't be all too happy you have practice every day starting now girls! Five laps around the field!" I start to jog off.
"I didn't know you were into cheerleading." I ignore him.
"Well, there's a lot of things you don't know about me," I mumble.
"Hey! don't ignore me!" Why do we have to share outside practices?
"Buttercup...I've made up for earlier."

I roll my eyes. "You think you standing up for me is gonna make this right?"
He nods happily.
"Think again," I said glaring at him with daggers in my eyes.
"You really are gonna make me work for this aren't you?" Nick asks.
"I hate you."
He gasps, "well that sounds like a starting of a never-ending love story."
I roll my eyes. "For a guy who doesn't find me attractive you sure do follow me everywhere." He smirks, "maybe I like the company...just please don't tell anyone...that and I just enjoy getting under your skin." Nick says.

"Oh I won't and by the way, my cheer captain hates me because I'm talking to you," I said. "Who Sara? She won't hurt a fly. To be honest she was so last year." He says with a grin. "Aria! Why are you slacking?!" Sara yells. "Sorry...Sara."
Nick chuckles, "oh so now you're taking orders from her just because you want to be friends?"

"No it's because I don't like conflict and it's better than being friends with you," I said. "Ouch, that really hurt, but there's nothing wrong with a little conflict." He flashes a sleazy smirk.
"Aria!"
I frown, "I'm jogging." I mumble.

"See you around buttercup."
I bite my lower lip.
"Oh and I'm taking you home."
"Vanessa is going to take me."

After practice, I inexhaustibly walk to Vanessa's car. She drives a 2016 Subaru.
"You know I think Nick sort of likes you." She says.
"No...he couldn't...why would you say that?"I ask almost choking on my own laugh.
Vanessa shrugs, "well he gave you a unique nickname. He never gives anyone nicknames."
I climb into the car. "So...he only likes me because I'm not into him like the other girls." She nods, "well that is true."

I look over to see him talking to Sara.
"See, he's already moved on." I laughed.
"You know what I'm going on a date with Jake. Do you wanna come?"
I shrug, "I don't know, I don't want to be a burden to you guys."
She shakes her head. "We enjoy you...just give me your number so I can pick you up on Saturday." She hands me her phone. I quickly type in my number and set her phone down. "Okay great." She smiles, "I already know who's gonna be your date."