Chapter 24

I sat in Vanessa's room starring up at the ceiling. "So why aren't you talking to Jake?" I ask turning my attention towards her.

 "Because right now I need space. His mom insulted me and he said nothing." I sighed,.

"Maybe he was respecting his mother and you by not saying anything?"

 I shrug, "no that still doesn't change what he did."

"Well hypothetically...what if he was feeling bad about it and wanted to apologize?" She frowns. "He brought you into the mix?" I look away.

 "He did! Seriously we can't have one argument without people getting involved." How hypocritical of her. 

"Well now you see how Nick and I."-

"It's different...you two aren't even a real couple. He's just using you for sex." She spat harshly trying to cut through me like a knife. "Bitch!" She growls before looking at her phone. "Speak of the devil." I roll my eyes. "All I'm saying is that you should talk to him and hear what he has to say."

I said, "no."

"Vanessa this is ridiculous you love Jake and, to be frank, you're being petty."

 She gasps, "and you getting mad at me for knowing about that whole Derek fiasco wasn't petty?" 

I get up, "all I'm just saying is that you two love each other...and love like that never dies so talk it out." She follows me downstairs. 

"Bye Mrs. Dean." I wave before stepping outside. "Jake." She says. "What did she say? Did she tell you anything?" Jake asks glaring at me. "No...I didn't say anything."

"Bullshit...you're probably still angry that I scared you this morning." I sigh, "Jake calm down I."-

"You know we were fine until you got here and now you're just ruining everything for everyone you hang around! And I don't know what Nick sees in you. Sara was right to tell me to come here."

 Vanessa's jaw drops, "why are you talking to Sara?!" She pushes me back.

 "Because I can and we're cool...we were all cool once!"

"Are you cheating on me?"

 Vanessa only selects her attention on Jake talking to Sara. I slowly step away. "Hell no! Do you want me to?" He asks bluntly. 

"What kind of question is that?! No!" Jake notices me creeping away. "Where the hell are you going? I'm not done with you!" I dreadfully stop in mid-walk, going back to that horrific day. "Stop yelling at her!"

"Stop protecting her! She doesn't need you to protect her! She was once a bitch remember?" I started choking on my own thoughts, the air felt so lost and it felt like I got the wind knocked out of me. "Aria?" I throw my hand around waving to find something to lean on.

 "Stop, Aria?!" 

I stop, "god you're even more pathetic than when I embarrassed you." Jake spat vigorously. "you...you did that to her?" Jake turns to her. 

"She told me to talk things with you but I guess we've already did. I'm sorry Aria." Sara says, with sullen fear and sympathy in her eyes as she turns to me. It felt like pity really.

She walks into the house. Jake tries to follow after her but Vanessa's dad steps outside and punches him senselessly. "You're not welcomed here until you know how to treat women."

Mr. Dean tosses him to the ground. As tears roll down my eyes I take a deep breath and walk towards him.

Moments later I sit beside Jake at his family's diner. "Okay now be still." I motion his swollen face in my direction. I grab a wet towel and gently pat down his eyes. 

"Ow!" He turns his head as the cold compress overwhelms him. I couldn't help the fact that his pain did in fact, make me somewhat happy but I'm not that evil. This wasn't pity but a mutual thing since I did technically get him here. His low point.

"Stop moving!" I yelled at him as if I was his mother. 

"That hurts."

 I pout. "Don't be pathetic." 

He sighs, "I deserve that."

 I nod, "yeah you gotta control your anger... Or else you'll get another black eye or lose another loved one."

 He nods, "her father does know how to throw a punch." 

I chuckled as I set the towel down and hand him an ice pack.

 "Why are you helping me? I hurt you."

I shrug, "maybe I just have a heart." 

He shrugs, "maybe." I get up. "Goodnight Jake."

"Goodnight Aria."

I stop and turn back to him. "I hope you get her back." He nods, "thanks."

"Yup."

When I dawdled into my room I noticed my window was being slowly lifted up. I reached over and grabbed a lamp.

 "Buttercup." I turn on the lights and gently set the lamp down.

 "Nick?" I ask.

 "Yes?" I sigh in relief. 

"You okay...Vanessa called, she told me what happened are you okay?"

 I nod, "yea I'm fine...Jake's not though.

" He walks towards me. "He shouldn't have done that...you didn't deserve that."

 I smile, "it doesn't matter now."

 He nods but I can tell he was still angry. His best friend hurting someone he was beginning to fall for. "Can you stay here with me?" 

He nods. "Yeah sure." I take his hand and guide him to my bed. 

"Aria I."-

I climb in and get comfortable, under my covers. "Just hold me." He nods.

The next day while I was in the bathroom. I notice that with all the quietness I could hear the awful horrific sound of barfing. I turn to a closed stall.
I slowly knock on the door. "Hello is anyone in here?"

"Go away!" Cough.

"Sara?" I slowly push the door open. 

"You okay?" I ask.

 "No I'm throwing up, what does it look like?" 

I frown, "are you sick?" She nods while wiping her lips. 

"Yeah if you're pregnant." I nod, "how long?" I ask, "a month now...please don't tell anyone." I nod, "of course." I hand her a napkin from my bookbag. 

"Thanks." I nod, "do you know who the father is?"

 She nods, "Nick." No wonder why she was so bitchy...wait, Nick? "Nick?"

She nods, "he was the only guy I had sex with." I nod, "have you told him?" She shakes her head. "Why not?"

"Because ever since he's gotten with you he won't even talk to me." I look away. "Oh well, I'm sorry."-

"No, you're not you pity me now." She bluntly says. 

"No...there's a difference pity is looking at you as if I cared and pretending to like you but I feel sorry for you but if you want my pity then so be it."

 She smiles, "looks like I'll be a Lockwood before you."

 I shrug, "I don't care it's not a competition. But at least I know what we have is real."

"We were real but you stole him from me! And I loved him." 

She snaps, "or maybe you loved the thought of loving him." I snap before walking off.