Chapter 8

"So Nick's mom invited you to dinner?"
I nod as I look for the perfect outfit.
"And you're worried about what you look like because?" Vanessa asks laying on my bed as she flicked through teen vogue's magazine.
"I-I don't know," I said hanging my dress back into the closet.
"Did Derek ever text you back?"
I nod, "yea cuz I sent him a paragraph telling him about himself."
She laughs, "I wish I was that bold, Jake and I fight if we try to over dominate each other." She jokes.
"Yeah... Ooh, what about this one?"
She claps in approval.
"Is this too girly because I'm trying to be casual."
She laughs, "since when are you and Nick ever casual?"
I laugh, "that's true."

She sighs, "be honest with me." She says gently.
"Okay." I turn to her.
"Do you like Nick?"
I laugh, "why would you think that no! I-I mean...he's hot and all but..no."
She sighs, "you like him." She mumbled.
"What?"
She shakes her head. "It's okay to like him."
I walk into my bathroom to go get changed. "She likes him so much," Vanessa says.

My aunt pulls up to this huge, very long driveway with her 2015 KIA, compared to her car and their's it was sad. But her car is still cute and kind of in style.
"Aria be nice."
I laugh, "I'm always nice."
She gives me a telepathic look as if she could call my bluff. "Fine I'm lying but still I'll be nice."
As we make it up to the door Mrs. Lockwood greets us with her glorious gown and hair. "Hello, come in...welcome to Harrison manor."

I step in behind my aunt. I spin around gazing at the large expensive house, dumbfounded by its beauty. "Aria why don't you go find Nick while us girls talk okay?" My aunt says.

"Okay."I manage to make my way into the living room just beside the staircase. Nick creeps down the stairs as he notices my astonished facial expression.
"Ahem."

I jump, "huh...oh hey."
He smiles, "nice look." He says.
"Nice house." I compliment.
"Well, you know...when you're dad owns hotels and your mom works as a chief editor at her own magazine company you get here."

I laugh, "so buttercup wanna come upstairs?"
I shake my head. "No, I don't trust you yet."

"My love, art thy not worthy of thy trust?"
I turn away hiding my blush.
"You didn't know I knew a bit of Shakespeare did you?" He jokes.
"No...but that was great...a true Romeo."
He pops his collar.

 "Thank you, thank you." He takes a bow before coming downstairs to meet up with me. I check my phone.
"It's Derek."
He nods, "you should answer that." He said.

Aria- hey

Derek- hey, what's up?

Aria- I'm at dinner with a friend

Derek- oh cool, you still owe me that date

Aria- yea I know maybe you can take me out on Friday?

Derek- I have practice...why Friday?

Aria- nothing...never mind

Derek- you sure

Aria- yeah it's nothing

Derek- well I have to go so see you around

Aria- yea bye

"You okay?" He asks and I nod.
"Nick, Aria! Dinner is ready!" Mrs. Lockwood yells.
"And I'm your friend?" He asks.
"Yea...no you're more like my best friend for a guy."
He laughs, "okay." He says before guiding me into the dining room. I sit down beside my aunt and Nick. Alfredo and breadsticks were on the menu. As we began to eat the adults ate and talked, making conversation and awkward jokes we didn't get. My Aunt found herself a good friend.
"So Aria, I hear you're an academic achiever." Mrs. Lockwood says I nod.
"Maybe you can help Nick out sometimes...just to get his head in the game." He laughs.
"Dad!" Nick yells across the table sheepishly.
"What? I'm just kidding, I know you're a good kid. That's why you're still playing football." Mr. Lockwood says.
"Anyways, Aria what do you like to do?"

I take a bite from the chicken before answering.
"I like to write, I want to be a writer when I get out of school."
She nods, "well maybe you can be one of my interns over the summer."
I smile, "thanks." I said.
"That's buttercup always being so sweet."
I laughed.
"Buttercup? I don't recall you ever calling a girl that." Mr. Lockwood says.
"Well, there's a first time for everything."

After dinner, Nick took me out into the backyard where we walked around. Football in hand he steps back a bit.
"Wanna catch?"
I shrug, "why the hell not?"
He tossed the ball and I catch it. "Now throw it back."
I smirk, "nope."
He could tell I was playing. "Yes." He says.
"You'll have to catch me," I scream as he charges at me.

Quickly I dodge his attack until finally, his arms wrapped around my waist and he snatched the ball out of my hand.
"No fair!"
He pats my back.
"Oh, it was fair...buttercup."
He huffs, "you're lucky I didn't ruin your pretty little outfit."He says.
"You're lucky I didn't ruin that...face of yours," I reply before stepping back.
"What was that?" I shake my head. "Nothing."

Meanwhile, as the adults stayed inside, "I have to ask." Mrs. Lockwood says.
"What?" Ester asks.
"I know Aria's birthday is coming up, Nick told me that he and his friends are planning a surprise party."

"Oh that's nice...but I'm."-

"I know right. And the party is going to be here." Mrs. Lockwood says interrupting Ester. "I'm saying it's nice but...Aria's parents died after picking her up from a party."

"Oh...it'll be small then...simple." She says warmly, "and you and Aria are welcomed here any time." Mr. Lockwood says.
"Where are the two?" Mrs. Lockwood looks around.
"Outside playing catch." Mr. Lockwood answered.
"Oh well, we should be going."
They both nod, "yes." Ester steps outside. "Aria we're leaving."
I nod, "by Nick." I said walking towards Ester. "Bye buttercup."

"Bye Nick," Ester says before guiding me out the house.