Chapter 7

"Come on Aria get out of the car!" I sit in Vanessa's car pouting. "It's not that bad."
I frown, "I look like a twelve-year-old going to a beauty pageant."
She heavily sighs, "you look normal...now seriously come on I know how you hate being late to class."
I slowly step out.
"I hate you." I frown.
"No, you don't."
I ignore the swishing of the bottom of my cheer uniform and lock arms with Vanessa and enter the school building. The whole cheer bow and glossy lip gloss wasn't my style but I loved the attention, I smile as I felt admiring eyes. It took me back to my old days.
"This is awesome."

"Hey, babe," Jake says as we approach his locker

"Hey, babe," Jake says as we approach his locker. She lets go of my arm and pecks his lips.
"I can't wait until your game." She says.
"What position do you play again?" I ask.
"Receiver."
I nod, "cool, my dad played football in high school. I was the only child so he taught me a few things."
He smirks, "anyways I'll stop bothering you two. But I'll see you guys tonight."

I wave before skipping off. "Her birthday is coming up on the eighth," Vanessa says.
"How do you know?" Jake asked.
"She was talking about it but she doesn't want a party."

"So you're gonna surprise her?" Jake asks. "Yes."
Jake sighs, "Aria is ungrateful she's just gonna complain about the surprise."

"What surprise?" Nick asks.
"Aria's birthday is this Friday... And I want to surprise her and give her a party."
Nick nods, "I can be a great distraction if you want me to be."
Vanessa smiles, "that'll be nice...make the new girl feel really special." She says turning to Jake.
"You really want to be friends with her?"
She nods, "yes, she's cool and honest."-
Jake smiles, "I'll help you."
That's the one thing I like about Jake, will do anything for Vanessa because he loves her.
"Wait where is my buttercup? I wanted to see her in her uniform." Nick looks around.
"Sadly you missed her," Vanessa says.
"Dammit, I guess I'll have to wait until the game."

After school, I sit beside Vanessa legs crossed and doing homework.
"So how's that Derek guy?"
I shrug, "he's ghosting me...which is fine. I am a girl and I don't need a guy."
She laughs, "that's for sure...did you see Nick at all today?"
I shake my head. "He had practiced all day remember?"
She nods, "I forget Nick is a jock sometimes."
I laugh. "The typical high school story....that reminds me how did you and Jake meet?"
She sighs, "we've known each other since preschool. He'd do the usual hair pull teasing thing. I couldn't get rid of him because he's Nick's best friend and our families were all just close. And eventually, during freshman year on my birthday, he bought me this necklace and he told me he liked me. At first, I was resentful but deep down I knew I loved him... Aria were you ever in love?"

I shrug, "no one has ever gotten too close to me to be loved by me."
She nods, "alright Girls let's get ready!" Sara yells from afar.

The bright lights of the football field blinded me. I could hear the crowd cheering along with us.
"LET'S GO BLUEBIRDS LET'S GO!" I chant along with my squad as we do our cheering routine.

We line up one by one, across each other waiting for the team to run through our good luck aisle.

One by one they got a taste of our Pom Poms. I smile brightly until I saw number 11. As Nick runs through the helmet in hand and is ready to take charge he runs past Sara, stops, and gives her a quick kiss. I shake it off and go off to the side to watch the game. Nick growls as he calls off numbers runs back dodging the opposite team and throws the ball.

We cheer once Jake catches the ball. Not long until he was caught with a forceful tackle. I notice Vanessa stops cheering and gasps. I touch her shoulder.
"He's fine he's a tough guy."
She nods, "it's just so hard...I know he does this all the time but."-

"You care."
She nods, "exactly."

Halftime came and we race out onto the field and did our awesome routine. I hit a cartwheel and hit the splits as Sara shakes her ass and stood at the top of the pyramid. Once it was over I made my way to the sidelines and gazed upon the night's sky.
"Well, look at you."
I laugh as I suddenly hear his voice. I turn to face Nick who leans onto the edge of the bleachers.
"Romeo."
He pushes off and walks towards me. He's now standing beside me. It's so awkward as he stares at me as if I had something on my face.

"What?" I ask.
"Nothing."

"Nick! Get out here!" His coach yells.
"What?" I ask again.
"Nothing you just look different."

He says walking backward. "Good or bad?" He shrugs, "wait you have to tell me!" He laughs.

The game ended with Jake and Nick both being hoisted up like kings since obviously, we won. 66-45. We're awesome! Standing on the sidelines as I cheer from afar. I tuck my bang behind my ear awkwardly as I start to remember the old me.
"Aria?"
I turn around.
"Oh, Mrs. Lockwood." She hugs me. She stands beside this tallish figure, almost the same Height as Nick but shorter on a scale. He was the spitting image of him too.
"This is Nick's father Daniel, this is Nick's friend Aria."
I shake his hand. "Nice to meet you." He nods, "you were great out there."
I shrug, "it was nothing...But did you see Nick out there?" Mr. Lockwood nods.
"Yes, indeed he was great."
Nick jogs over to us.
"Great job son." He fist-bumps his dad. "Thanks. I couldn't have done it without this lovely cheerleader." He wraps his arm around my shoulder and hugs me.
"Oh please... It was all you."

Mrs. Lockwood clears her throat. "I want to invite you and your aunt to our house this Saturday."
I nod, "I'll ask her about that."
She nods, "alright I'll leave you two to talk... Come on honey." Mr. And Mrs. Lockwood lock fingers and walk off like proud parents.

"Want a ride home? Because I'm pretty sure the couple is gonna go out to eat."
I laugh, "isn't your girlfriend gonna be mad?" He nods, "she'll get over it."

I waited for him outside in the parking lot. "Buttercup."
I giggle, "I'll never get over that name." He walks over to me with his duffel bag. "And I won't get over Romeo."

I've noticed he's giving me that same look that he had before.
"What?"
He shakes his head. "Nothing, you just look so happy. And this look...it's nice. You should pin your hair up more. It brings out your eyes."
I playfully punch him. He pinches my cheek. "Hey, what do you like?"

"Excuse me?"
He laughs, "items wise."
I laugh, "oh well something special....like a card...painting no flowers I hate that...or just something thoughtful and meaningful...why?" He shakes his head.
"No reason."

I walk beside him into the night.