xvii

S E V E N T E E N:
kaboom went the heart

The charts were saying horrible things to them

The charts were saying horrible things to them. Bibiana sat with the rest of the team, speechless from it.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Barry asked, walking into the cortex. "Did Eiling find out you're here?"

"No," Bette answered. "Caitlin was about to give me the not-so-good news."

"The shrapnel in your body had merged with you on a cellular level," Caitlin explained. There was a small frown on Bibiana's lips from the news.

"The technology required to unspliced your DNA," Dr. Wells said. "It hasn't been invented yet."

"And I wouldn't know how to code it in order to make one," Bibiana added. Bette nodded her head and looked like she was ready to cry.

"Bette," Barry said.

"It's okay," Bette assured. "Roger that. I-- I just need a minute. Don't worry. I'm pretty sure I can cry without blowing stuff up."

Bette walked out of the cortex. She still took it better than Bibiana. The hacker can really get emotional when she doesn't guard herself.

"What now?" Cisco asked.

"She joins us," Barry replied. "Becomes part of the team."

"Would it even be safe?" Bibiana asked. "I mean, she's cool and all. But would it be safe for the team and everyone else?"

"Barry, you have an amazing ability to help people. So does Bibiana," Caitlin explained. "Bette makes things explode."

"She's the first metahuman we met that's not hell-bent on destroying the city," Barry pointed out.

"It's too dangerous," Dr. Wells said.

"She's not going in the pipeline," Barry stated.

"I'm not suggesting she go in the pipeline," Dr. Wells explained. "But were she to remain at S.T.A.R. Labs, it would pull all of us at risk."

"From who, Eiling?" Barry asked.

"Eiling is a dangerous man, Barry. We do not want him as an enemy," Dr. Wells answered.

"After the lightning bolt, what if you hadn't found me?" Barry asked. "It could've been me. Hunted, on the run, cut off from everyone I know and care about. You guys saved me and Bibiana."