Chapter Eight

Elaine stepped out the bathroom and found the room empty. She was about to step into the walk in closet, where she had kept her scrubs last night, when a garment bag and a two boxes caught her eye. She pulled her towel tighter around herself and made her way towards the bed.

The garment bag had a grey formal dress. It had a boat neck with a black belt on the waist and it was knee length. She opened one of the boxes next and blushed. It had a pair of black lacy undergarments yet she was grateful. She had felt the whole point of shower mute when she had worn her same undergarments from the previous day. The last box had pair of black stilettos. Elaine laughed at them.

She was supposed to head into a hospital and this whole outfit was contradictory. Heels and dresses just didn’t fit with her schedule. Even though she mostly changed into her scrubs but she never took the risk because sometimes she was directly pulled along the wave of activity once she stepped inside the hospital.

She appreciated his effort and also wondered how he knew her size but grabbed her scrubs from the closet and threw them on after she put on the fresh pair of undergarments. She stepped outside and saw him sitting at the table next to the bar, the breakfast was already set. She wanted to ask about the scars but she knew she was in no place to ask.

“It is bad manner to wear wrinkled clothes to work” He said as he gestured for her to join him. She glanced at the clock. She still had half an hour.

“Well at my work place there is no such thing.”

Aaron smirked but he had hoped she would have changed into the dress and heels. However she had her reasons. He watched her as she buttered a toast and kept it on her plate.

“That is all you going to have?” He asked as he looked at the rest of the breakfast spread. There were scrambled eggs, ham, bacon, French toasts and cornflakes with bagels and fresh baked bread. Okay, maybe he had ordered a little too much.

“I am not hungry and I am running late.”

Aaron nodded and tried to ignore the weird feeling in the pit of his stomach, he wanted to ask her to stay the day but she wasn’t free.

“Damn, I have to rush.”

“I will drop you off”

“Please no. I will get a cab. You also need to get ready for work” Elaine gesture at his outfit which was still the sweatpants and t-shirt.

“Unless like you I can head in whenever I want. I am the CEO darling” Aaron winked as he stood up and waited for her.

“Show off” Elaine muttered and laughed.

“I heard that”

“Good”

They kept up the light banter as they drove to the hospital. Aaron didn’t want this moment to end.

“Well thank you once again Aaron”
Elaine said as she removed her seatbelt and faced him.

“Don’t mention it”

“Well I have to go”

“See you around?” Aaron asked.

“Sure and I just hope I am not passed out”

Aaron chuckled as he pulled open the front compartment and handed her his business card.

“Just in case”

Elaine laughed and took the card.

“Thank you” She saw an emotion flicker past his eyes but before she could understand they were back to the hard steel grey.