Chapter Nine

“What the---“ Aaron sat up and cursed. He had dozed off on the sofa in front of the TV which was on mute. The phone was vibrating its way to hell on the coffee table. He reached forward, pushing aside cartons of Chinese food and beer bottles.

He looked at the number but didn’t recognize the number. He decided not to answer but on the second thought swiped the green icon.

“Clark here” He said in a dead pan voice. He glanced at the clock. It was nearly 11.30 p.m.

He heard someone sigh on the other side and Aaron gritted his teeth. He was about to hang up when he heard the voice he least expected.

“Aaron. It’s me. Elaine”

“Hey Elaine. Are you okay?” Aaron sat up straighter immediately worried.

“Yes I am okay. I was just wondering if you wanted to..umm…get drinks..if you are free..it is awfully late…you know what forget it…its---“

“Come on over. I have Chinese and beer” Aaron chuckled, cutting off her rambling. He was pleased beyond his own liking that she had called him.

“Your place?”

“Or I can come, however you want”

“Okay, I really don’t have any place in mind”

“Alright, I will message you my address then”

“Okay”

Aaron couldn’t wipe the grin off his face as he messaged her his address.

Elaine read the address and sighed. It was stupid of her to call him. It was almost midnight and it sounded like he was asleep. She didn’t know him that well to impose herself on him.
She decided to message and tell him that she was called in the hospital.

“Stop being a wuss” A voice in her head shot back at her.

After her engagement went out of the window, she stayed out of the dating circuit. Once in a blue moon, Sam and Will pulled her along on a double date but things never went ahead.

“This is not even a date.” Elaine rolled her eyes at her train of thoughts. He was a decent guy who was a good company and right now she needed a good company and a few drinks.

She typed in the address in her car’s GPS and drove over to his place.

Aaron winced as he looked at the ugly bruise that was now forming on his left torso. He should have expected this. Dante was going to pay hell for this even if after that Rose had his head on a stick. He pulled his vest down as he heard the buzzer go off.

“Mr. Clark there is a Ms. Elaine Sparks here to see you”

“Yes send her up”

Aaron glanced behind him at the coffee table. He had cleared away the empty bottles and cartons.

The doorbell went off and Aaron pulled it open.

“Hey there” he said as he took in her appearance. She was wearing a black tank top and dark blue denims and had a light blue denim jacket slung over her forearm. Her hair was pulled up in a messy bun and like every single time he had seen her, her face was void of any makeup.

“Hello”

“Come on in” Aaron stepped aside and gestured with his hand. Elaine smiled and moved past him into the foyer.

“Nice place” She complimented as she looked around.

“Moved in today” Aaron said as he took her jacket and placed it in the closet near the main door. He studied her natural beauty again. He was always knocked breathless. Sure he had his share of beautiful women but they paled in comparison to her.