Chapter Thirty Four

The sniper readied his finger to pull the trigger, but at the exact same moment a bullet pierced his skull and he collapsed on the spot.

“Bloody fucker” Dante muttered as he lowered his gun. “Got him” He said into his headset.

An hour earlier

Dante walked out of the Clark Inc. offices. Aaron had been out all day planning a surprise for Elaine. His phone rang and he pulled it out, smiling as he saw Rose’s number flash on the screen.

“I am on my way babe”

“The coffee is finished”

“I will get it. See you in a few.”
He got into his car. His phone rang out again.

“I swear sometimes this woman has no patience” Dante muttered as he reached for his pocket and pulled out the phone. It was an international unknown number.

“Hello”

“Is this Dante Steele?”

“Yes”

“Steele, it’s me Hunter”

“Jesus. You are alive! I assumed you must be buried somewhere in France by now.”

Dante and Charles had joined the CIA together. They had been on the same team and had trained together. At the time when Charles had been assigned to go to France as a spy, Dante had resigned from the CIA to start his life with Rose. They had lost contact after that.

“Look you don’t have time. Laurent has paid a sniper to kill your buddy Aaron’s woman. He has already killed Olivia Miller.”

“What the fuck?!”

“He has a fucked up way of caring for his daughter. I am texting you the address.”

“I don't care about the story. You have that covered. I trust you. Just send me the address.” Dante said. He got out the car and opened his trunk. He pushed aside the covering and pulled out his gun. He loaded the gun and screwed on the silencer. This was second nature to Dante. He had killed numerous times over the course of his career as a CIA agent.

His phone beeped with a text. He read the address and clenched his teeth.

“You don’t mess with my family” He growled as he got into the car and threw the car in reverse. He reached the building. He scanned the area. The sniper was good. This building had a clear vantage point of Central Park. Dante controlled his emotions and got out of the car.

“Good day. A lovely evening isn’t it?” He said to a passing man and snuck of his key card.

“How you doing?” He said as he passed the doorman with a smile and swiped in the key card. Once he cleared the lobby, he got into the elevator. He reached the roof and saw the door was almost closed but a rod was propped up against it.

He peeked through the gate and saw the sniper already set up. He pulled out his gun and in one swift motion pushed open the door, aimed and fired a bullet into his skull.

“Bloody fucker” Dante muttered as he lowered his gun. “Got him” He said into his headset.

“We are even. Just walk away. I will have the agents from CIA clear this up. Also I will have Olivia Miller's case handled.” Charles said. Dante had saved his life when they had been on a mission.

“Thank you. Catch you around, Hunter”

“Sure thing, Steele”

Aaron and Elaine didn’t need to know about this, he decided. Dante walked back out of the building whistling.

Charles hung up and faced Josephine.

“She is safe?” Josephine asked, her voice barely a whisper.

Charles gave her  a curt nod and was about to walk out of the room.

“Charles…”

He stopped.

“Please…say something”

“Damn it woman!” He growled as he turned around.

He walked back up to her and pulled her against his chest.

“When will you understand? You are mine!” He said as he claimed her lips with his own.

“One last thing” Aaron said as he finished his wine. It was dark now. The lights reflected off the lake.

“There is more?” Elaine asked. They just finished dinner.

“The best is yet to come”

“You are one amazing man, Aaron Clark” Elaine said as Aaron helped her up.

“I try”

Elaine laughed and looped her arm with his. This was the best evening of her life. They talked about nothing to everything during dinner. Aaron had gotten the dinner prepared and packed in the picnic basket.

They walked to the Loeb Boathouse.

“A boat ride?” Elaine asked.
“Yes.”

“Thank you Aaron for tonight” She said as she kissed his lips softly.

“Come on” Aaron said as he took her hand and helped her on the boat. He rowed out from the boathouse towards the centre of the lake. A soft breeze blew, the stars sparkled. Elaine took in the beautiful surroundings but nothing compared to the perfect man sitting in front of her.

She looked back at him to find his eyes already locked on her. She blushed and looked down. They reached the centre of the lake and Aaron stopped rowing. They could see the tall building, with their lights glowing surrounding the greenery of the park.

“This is so beautiful” Elaine whispered as she looked at the lights reflecting on the water.

She turned back to face Aaron and found him down on one knee, holding a stunning diamond ring nestled in a black velvet box.

“Oh my god…” Elaine gasped as she covered her mouth with her hands.

“Elaine, you came into my life and gave it a whole new meaning. You made it complete. You made me realize what love is. I promise you, I will never hurt you, ever. I will respect you and protect you for as long as I live. I love you with my entire being. You own my heart and soul. You are the bravest and the most beautiful woman I ever met. Elaine Marie Sparks, will you marry me and make me the luckiest man alive?”

“Aaron…Yes. A thousand times yes! Oh my god!” Elaine exclaimed as she wiped the tears.

He got up and took her left hand. He slipped the ring on her ring finger and kissed her knuckles.

“I…this…I will love you till my last breath” Elaine couldn’t put her feeling in to words so she leaned forward and cradled his face in her hands and kissed him, a kiss full of promise and a happily ever after.

They found their love in affliction, a love so pure, it healed and completed them.

Epilogue next.
Vote and Comment ❤