Chapter Twelve

Dedicated to wefive
For being an AN AMAZING SUPPORT and nominating the story in Romance category for The Literary Awards 2017.

It is a request to all readers who think that this story is worth it...please head over to TheLiteraryAwards (instructions are provided) and nominate this story in Romance.
Lets show support for Aaron and Elaine ❤

Elaine watched him disappear beyond the foyer. Sure she felt something for him and she was willing to explore that but sure as hell not as a rebound.

He was clearly in love or confused with his feelings when it came to that woman as he was rattled badly.

Elaine walked out of the door and closed it behind her. She walked to the elevator and pressed the button.

The doors slid open but at the same time two strong arms encircled her waist.

"Give me a chance to explain" He said as he placed a soft kiss on her neck.

Elaine didn't say anything.

"Please Elaine, just one chance"

Elaine turned around in his arms and nodded.

Aaron sighed in relief. The moment he heard the door close at her departure, he knew he had made a mistake. He couldn't let her walk away. He needed to at least explain everything to her and see if she was willing to understand and give them a chance, give him a chance; a chance he simply didn't deserve.

He knew what he had for her was more than attraction and it was nothing like what he felt for Olivia and that is what made him re consider his decision. He was willingly to open himself to her.

He intertwined his fingers with hers and led her back to the penthouse.

"Would you like something to drink?" He asked as she sat down on the edge of the sofa and let go of his hand. She clasped her hands between her knees and shook her head in response. Elaine was afraid and curious at the same time.

Aaron was a confident man and carried himself with an air of authority but right now he was outright nervous.

"I don't know where to start..."

"From the beginning?"

Aaron nodded and kneeled down next to her on the carpet while she sat on the sofa. He gently extracted her hands from between her knees and held them.

"I didn't have a normal childhood while growing up. The man who called himself my father was a drug addict also a dealer and my mother was a woman who couldn't stand up for herself. She got pregnant with me right out of high school...and decided to stay with my father, not for love but for the little to no money he had."

Elaine watched him intently as he was lost in deep in thought, probably trying to phrase it out to make it sound less gruesome.

"He used to beat her...and me if I was around...badly...we were hospitalized at times...there was never barely enough food...and then one day she decided to grow a spine and walked out but left me behind. I was six then. He lost it after that. He would beat me up and starve me just because he had nothing better to do. He was glad yet pissed off at the same time that my mother ran away and took it all out on me."

Elaine tried to control the tears which were now falling freely down her cheeks. She tried to imagine this steel of a man as a young scared boy going through so much at such a tender age.

How could one do that to their own child? She couldn't even begin to imagine his fear. Her childhood was more than protected and cherished.

"When did this stop?" Elaine asked, her voice barely audible.

"In grade six. I met Dante. We instantly became friends. He saw my bruises and without asking how I got them, he started taking me along with him to his dad's martial arts academy. There I learnt mixed martial arts."

"You fought back?"

"Self defense"

Elaine simply nodded.

"I grew up, I was no longer the small kid. I had the advantage of strength and height over him. I started working out. He started staying out of my way."

"I am sorry" Elaine said as she pushed back his hair, which was now falling across his forehead.

"No need. It made me who I am today, the best and the worst."

"I---" Aaron started but Elaine pressed her finger against his lips, shushing him. This was enough for today. He had already visited the hell of his past and she didn't want to push him any further. There was a lot she wanted to ask, like his scars and how Olivia came into the picture but it could all wait.

"You asked about Olivia before..." Aaron said

"Did you love her?"

"No..." Aaron said as he watched her slide of the couch and come at level with him.

"That is all I want to know for now..."

"But Elaine...I didn't love her...I just became dependent on her...to just have her around...I don't know how to love...or be romantic..." Aaron said. It was true. He wasn't the romantic kind; with Olivia it was always expensive dates and gifts but not with deep emotions, for him to have peace of mind and for her to use those as way for publicity. They were always hounded by paparazzi whenever they went on dates and Olivia spent more time talking to them than she did to him during their dates.

He was amazed now that how ignorant he had been of how his relationship had shaped out but then again he never had a proper relation with anyone to understand how they were supposed to work.

"I am not her" Elaine said

"But I am who I am...I don't want to hurt you..."

"You will not hurt me Aaron...we are in this together. I really like you and I want to see where this can possibly lead..."

"What if it leads no where?"

"Then at least we gave it a shot"

"How can you have so much faith in me?"

"Because I can see you for what you are. A strong and caring person."

Aaron looked at the beautiful woman in front of him, saying all the right things, then why was he still in doubt? Why was he scared to let go and give this a try?

"Because you are not capable of this" a voice in his head shot back at him. Aaron closed his eyes.

"Aaron..."

He opened his eyes and looked directly into her blue green eyes. He saw the hope she had for them and the faith she had in him. This woman made him feel something he didn't feel with Olivia in four years. This was different and a good different.

He cupped her face gently in his hands and watched her eyes flutter shut. He kissed her with passion and she responded equally.

They pulled apart and Aaron sat back down and pulled her along with him, hugging her to his chest. He placed a soft kiss on top her head.

"Thank you" he whispered.

"For what?"

"For saving me"

Please comment and vote! ❤