Chapter Thirteen

Dedicated to DamanjeetKaurVirk

"We are losing him!"

"WE ARE NOT! The defibrillator!" Elaine yelled

Then nurse handed her the defibrillator. Elaine positioned it.

"Charge! All clear!"

There was no change on the monitor.

"NO! NO! WILLIAM!" Elaine tried to shake her brother awake but he was covered in blood and her hands were covered in his blood.

"Ellie how could you?" Elaine turned around to see Sam carrying a baby.

"You killed his father Ellie...How could you do this to us?" Tears rolled down Sam's cheeks.

"Sam..." Elaine stepped towards Sam.

"You killed William...."

"Elaine wake up!" Aaron gently shook Elaine who was screaming in her sleep.

"It's me, Aaron" He said in a calm voice, trying to soothe her.

Elaine opened her eyes and looked at a pair of worried steel orbs staring at her. She tried to steady her breath as she looked around.

"It's okay. It was a bad dream. I am here." Aaron said as he pulled her close.

Elaine nodded and settled her head against his chest. She noticed that they were in his bedroom. She must have fallen asleep in the living room.

"You want to talk about it?" Aaron asked as he tucked a stray strand of hair behind her hair.

Elaine gulped, not wanting to relive it.

"It's alright. Go to sleep sweetheart. I am here." Soon Elaine drifted back to a fitful sleep.

In the morning Aaron woke up to his phone vibrating on the bedside table. He reached for it and switched off the alarm and fell back in the pillow. He looked at Elaine who was fast asleep next to him. He gently kissed her forehead and removed his arm from underneath her head and moved out of the bed.

He had a morning meeting today with one of the investor and he wanted to head in early and go over the project file once more. He went into bathroom for a shower, missing his morning workout because of his injury.

Elaine woke up and saw that Aaron was not in bed. She sat up and looked around his room. It was all black, dark blue and white, bare of any personal touch.

She checked her phone and went over her calendar. She needed to be at the hospital by 9 a.m. the latest, it was seven now. She stepped out of bed and at the same time Aaron stepped out of the bathroom with only a towel wrapped around his waist and another one in his hand for his hair.

"You are up" He said.

Elaine simply gawked at him. Aaron smirked and stepped closer.

"Like what you see sweetheart?"

Elaine diverted her gaze and blushed. Her eyes fell on his scars and she reached out to trace the larger one, which extended around his torso.

Aaron stilled at her touch.

"How?" Elaine asked.

"A can opener. I was ten, wasn't able to open a can, asked for his help, he demonstrated."

Elaine gasped and stepped back. She looked at him but his face was clear of any emotion. His eyes were cold and unyielding. A ten year old...

They both stood still, neither of them moving. She didn't want to ask about how he got the other two smaller ones, but she needed to know. They were a part of him.