Chap. 19 "The women I chased away"

Last time: "That's the plan" I laughed again. I heard the shower turn on and I rolled over in bed. I drifted off to sleep content with knowing I would wake up to the love of my life.
I fell asleep thinking nothing in the World could disturb us.

Dear Journal,

"Why is it the exams are over, and we're still studying" Rebecca groaned as she closed the file on her bed. 

"It's the mission to take them out, and we only have a month until graduation. And then after that our chances would dwindle almost to zero" I said nonchalantly as I read the file in my hand. 

"I hate it when you tell me things, I don't wanna hear" he said as she picked up another file. Papers were strewn across my bed and I glanced at my phone, it read 10:30. I sighed as I leaned back, Becca and I were possibly the only seniors in all of Miami that were home on a Friday night. Maybe the both of us had been putting this off, even unspoken we knew what it meant when we finally found a plan. 

"I found something" she exclaimed as she lunged over the bed. She handed me a small journal as she spread out an old newspaper clipping. 

"What is it"

"Well they don't keep exact records of what they do, and when they do they use code words that only top members understand. So, I was looking at these records from 1997 and it says '...Flames, Shozing lit them at the warehouse gala to gang and protect...' which made no sense until I looked at a newspaper from 1997 which says 'Student lights fire at local high school's prom'" she said as she pointed to the clippings.

"Sean doesn't tell me much about the gang, but he did mention how Prom was like big deal. Apparently a lot of shady shit goes down there, below the surface" I said as I crossed my arms, "But if we're about to take them down there, how we know it's worth it?"

"That's what was bothering me for so long but then I looked at all the records. It's like they use the night as a business gala, like big dealing and such. Call me crazy, but if the night's so important I could almost bet all the higher ups will be there" she said as though was piecing it all together. 

"So we call in backup taking them by surprise" I nodded. I could feel this abyss open in the bottom of my stomach,

"And, since you and Sean are set to win prom king and queen, we should take him out. Without their head, they'd be scrambling" she said but the excitement died out from her voice. It was all getting too real, the imminent thought that we were plotting to take down our friends. I didn't even know why I was having such a hard time, it was just some stupid mission. Why was I struggling?

"Can you be the one to shoot Sean" I say in a barely audible whisper, she nodded as she climbed into my lap. He small arms wrapped around me as we laid in bed together. I knew I couldn't do it. Even if I didn't say it out loud, I loved him. It was selfish of me, to let him love me then stab him in the back. But I didn't care, I just wanted to experience his love. And it wasn't just because of Sean, I loved my friends. I couldn't imagine stabbing them in the back, they were the only people that I knew would do anything for me. 

I let my mind drift to a fantasy. Turn my back on the agency and tell them not to go. They would have ahead start move somewhere where no one could find them, especially not me. The agency would never know it was me and they would be safe. 

Even more selfishly I let myself think about going with them. Running away, from everything. i wouldn't have to kill any other person. No one would find us, out in the middle of the woods. Waking up to Sean in a cabin and spending the day gardening, before we hung out with our friends for dinner. But I shook the thought away, the Agency would never let me leave. They would hunt me down till they found me and every person who helped me died.