8: Only Human

Miscommunication between Castle and Beckett leads to a defining argument their relationship, and it has to do with trust issues. Castle doesn't trust Beckett.

•••

I've been holding out for some silver in the clouds
It just gets dark, it just gets hard to see
Well you told me go for broke
You go first, I'll hold the rope
And make your way down to solid ground with me

Cheryl - Only Human

•••

"Have you guys seen Castle?" Beckett asked the guys as she strolled up to the murder board.

"No, why? Mom and Dad fighting again?" Espo joked.

"Don't start." She huffed. She wasn't in the mood, all she wanted was to snuggle up with Castle and fall asleep in his arms. He was her protector, and he never ceased to make her feel loved.

"Sorry."

"Did you guys see him at all today?" She tried. She was worried, more worried than she should be for only a partner. But this was Castle. He wasn't just her partner.

"No," Ryan added, "we haven't gotten a clear glimpse of you all day either. Where have you been?"

"I ran into an old friend," Kate turned to her closet friends, figuring she could trust them, as she's know them for years no, "we met and went out for lunch to catch up."

"Anyone we would know?"

"Actually...yeah." She looked away for a moment.

"Who?" Both men asked at the exact same time.

"Josh Davidson."

"Doctor motorcycle boy!" Espo almost shouted.

"Actually now its engaged doctor motorcycle boy." She raised her eyebrows and laughed at both they're open jaws.

"Really!" Ryan said closing his jaw.

"You bet. I'll tell you guys all about it tomorrow, but for now let's just call it a night. It's not like we have a case going on."

"Night." They both waved as their squad leader exited toward the elevator.

She had a feeling though, as the elevator descended, that she would not end up snuggling with Castle.

She unlocked the door and called out to him, "Castle? Are you here?" She hung up her coat and threw her keys, phone, badge, and gun on the counter, and went in search of Castle. The first and last place she checked was his office. Because he was there. He was sitting with his feet on his desk, his head leaned back, and a glass of what she could only assume was scotch, or maybe whiskey in his hand. She walked over and placed her hand on his shoes, yet he didn't acknowledge her if he had felt it. Kate furrowed her brow and removed her hand. Strange, she thought.

"Castle, where were you?" She began, "I haven't seen you all day," still an uneasy silence remained, "I was getting worried," still, nothing, "Castle!" She almost yelled. That, that was what caused him to barely move his eyes towards her figure. He just chuckled.

"What's so funny, Castle?" She crossed her arms and had annoyance sprawled across her face.

"Funny? I wouldn't call it funny." Castle said before removing his eyes from his girlfriend and replacing them with a small stain on the ceiling.

"What? What wouldn't you call funny?" She shook her head in disbelief at the way he was acting, "all I did was worry about you. Don't you ever look at your phone? I called, I texted, I even left voicemails, and still, nothing. I thought you had gotten kidnapped or something...or worse." She went silent and waited for an answer. Which to her surprise he took no time in giving.