11: Fight On

Rick and Kate head to a party where things get rocky and emotions unfold.

•••

He hears her call
Before she falls
He carries her through every shadow
With just one word
He saves her world
He holds her close before he tells her
Oh, oh, oh

Cheryl - Fight On

•••

High school. It's stressful enough with the loads of school work, but when relationships and catty girls get added it becomes a living hell. And then there's parties. The pressure of wearing the right clothes and not being the chicken of the group, but also not kissing a guy and getting labeled a slut. There's so many memories that can be made whether they be good or bad. But most of the times, the ones you can never forget are unfortunately the bad ones.

Kate Beckett is a junior in high school, almost finished with her journey of self discovery and ready to become a lawyer and move into the adult world. She's so focused on doing her family proud that she surprised herself when she was asked to be a date to a coming up end of the year party. It came as even more of a shock when it came from Rick Rodgers. Her best guy friend. Of course though, there is that feeling growing in the pit of her stomach the what her emotional affection for Castle is going beyond friendship. And maybe for him it is too, because who knows, maybe she could leave this night with a lover, someone more than a partner.

Of course though, there is that voice in the back of her mind constantly repeating that she isn't good enough for him, and why on earth would he want someone like her. The answer is he wouldn't. Which lowers her confidence in herself and causes her wall around her to become that much taller and harder to break. It's not like she has anything to hide, it's just that she's always had a wall and she would feel bad to the person who would have to break it. She couldn't imagine what else could happen the could possibly make this wall invincible. And she didn't want to find out. But she had a feeling she would. Not anytime soon though. But I'm the years to come, she felt an impending danger.

As the Friday school day came to an end, she felt a hand on her shoulder, and it took no more than a second for her to recognize it as Rick's. She smiled and turned to face him.

"You ready for tonight?" He asked with the same charming smile that attracted her to him in the first place. Everyone loved Rick, his attitude and wittiness had laughter and smiles on the faces of everyone he encountered. He was especially popular with the ladies, everyone wanting a pice of him. While he was popular he was never one of those guys to make up stories and create drama to boost himself higher in the social status of high school, which is probably the reason Kate was fascinated by him. Honestly, to her, their friendship took her by surprise, because he isn't the type of person she would ever imagine hanging out with. She's so serious, and he's so...outgoing. It was an unlikely match, but it seemed to work so well. And she hated the butterflies that rose in her stomach when they were together.

"Y-yeah, it's my first party though." She said slightly embarrassed. She saw his jaw drop.

"You're first party! What! Beckett, why have you never told me about this?" He beamed, almost jumping up and down like a toddler.

"It was never brought up." She shrugged trying not to make it a big deal.

"And to think, I thought we were friends." He joked.

"We are friends!" She almost shouted, "I was always just busy whenever you told me there was a party over the weekend, I was either studying, or working, or-"