23: Don't Talk About This Love

The love triangle between Castle, Beckett, and Sorenson is at its high, when Castle finds out that Beckett is back with Will. He notices her emotions become sadder and she isn't her normal self. Will comes to the precinct one day and Castle watches as they fight with each other, will he intervene?

•••

I'm in so deep
I'm scared to death
It's like I could drown
It's effortless
I feel so juvenile
Emotions going wild

Cheryl - Don't Talk About This Love

•••

"Kate, are you really back with Will?"

"Why do you care, Castle."

It's been three months since Kate and Will were once again together. They had become a couple during a case involving kidnapping. Kidnapping cases always drew them together, they dug up memories of the good times, ignoring the ones where he left. But, with much convincing, Beckett agreed to give them another try while he was staying in New York for a few months, and when the time is up, if they're still not working then they would break it off, no strings attached.

The major opposer of this was of course Castle, who wanted to be with Beckett more than anything, but yet he didn't have to balls to say anything, he just sat back and watched it happen. He and Sorenson weren't the best of buddies, and he knew that whenever the two were together Sorenson would make a point to show him that she was his.

But over the course of one month Castle noticed the lack of happiness in Kate. She would smile less, and rarely laugh at his jokes, but what really bothered him was how no rose color flustered her cheeks whenever he complimented her, because the way her cheeks filled with red and her head drops to cover it with a sheepish smile, was one of the reasons he fell for her so hard. But now that was gone. Not his love, but her joy. And he hated it, he wondered why. Had she been noticing his poor attitude, and had it really been affecting her that much? If it was, and if she really saw a future Will, then he would stop, he would man up and be happy for her.

He saw her walk into the bullpen with her head down and her hands still at her side. He stood to be polite and greet her with his notorious charming smile and rapier wit. He even held out her coffee he'd brought for her. But she ignored him, he didn't think it was on purpose, he thought that there was probably something more important on her mind than jokes or theories.

"Hey." Castle said leaning over placing his elbows on her desk as he sat down. She seemed to jump and look up, obviously shocked he was there. Had she really been that deep in thought?

"When did you get here?" She asked distracted, dark circles evident under her seemingly lifeless eyes.

"I-I've...been here-Kate are you ok?"

"I'm fine Castle, how was your night?" She avoided his eyes, knowing that if she looked into them, she would be relentless to his oncoming pestering of questions about her night. She shouldn't have even ask him about his in the first place.

"Fine..." Castle thought for a moment to ask her about hers, but it was clear she that didn't want to talk about it, "Just had a rough sleep is all."

"Me too." She said quickly but quietly.

"Really?"

"Yeah." She shrugged.

"Twinsies!" Castle decided to try a joke, a simple comical banter, and for a moment he thought it worked, when he saw a tiny smile creep onto her lips. She let out a short laugh before going quiet and putting on the same emotionless expression she had just moments before. There was silence between the pair, which for once, felt uncomfortable, and Castle couldn't handle it, so he pushed,