26: Close To Love

Castle and Beckett are in high school and they are in their last years of school and Kate doesn't want to leave feeling like she didn't make the most of it so she asks Castle if he would like to go the carnival with her and he says yes. While they are having the time of their lives a sneaky ex comes in to try and win an old lover back.

•••

Got so close to love
I can almost taste the kill
Barely close enough
But I could not make the deal
Got so close to love
I can almost taste the kill
Barely close enough
But I just can't close the deal

Girls Aloud - Close To Love

•••

Carnival. Games and rides, junk food and prizes. The carnival was happening in Central Park and it was going to be huge. Kate was a senior getting ready to go off into the world and it was probably one of the last carnivals she would have time to go to.

It was the last night of the carnival and the only one Kate wanted to go too. She had no one to go with, because Lanie was busy with Javi, and Maddie was out partying somewhere, but that wasn't going to stop her from texting Rick. They were good friends, and hanging out with him always made her feel warm inside which is the exact reason she didn't want him to come. She knew that she was going to be blurting random things and rambling on when a simple one word answer would suffice. And she knew why. She was falling for him. She had texted him ten minutes ago and had gotten no reply.

The carnival opened at 11:30, but she was going to head over around 4:30, so she texted Rick at 3:15, wanting an answer sooner rather than later. She sat on her bed with her phone in her hands staring at the blank screen. Great, she though, not even Rick wants to hang out with me. Things had gotten rough after her mother died. After all, she was only 19. She had just graduated high school, and her mother had just passed. Her and her dad, especially her dad, took the death hard. She had gotten behind in school and just wanted a break. So she figured a distraction with funnel cake could help.

A few moments later her phone lit up with a text from Rick. She smiled and quickly opened it reading his text message:

I'd love nothing more than to accompany thee gorgeous Katherine Beckett to the carnival tonight ;) just tell me the time and I'll be there to pick you up.

Her smile widened, cheeky, she thought. She quickly texted back the time he was supposed to pick her up and bolted up to clean up her house and get herself ready. She was excited and nervous, she wanted him deep down to feel the same way she did, because she wanted to be with him, even if she didn't fully know it yet.

Sure enough at 4:15 Rick was ringing her doorbell. She quickly adjusted herself in the mirror and hurried to the door and opened it. They both had glowing smiles in their face.

"Hey." Rick said.

"Hey." She said back and they hugged. They always hugged. It was a normal thing for them to do and it never felt awkward, expect for now, Kate wanted it to mean something more than just a greeting and a sending off gesture.

"You ready?"

"Heck yes, overpriced games, crappy food, and unsafe rides, it's what what I live for." She smiled grabbing her coat.

"Well I'm glad." He gestured for her to exit and then closed the door and left room for her to lock it.

The two of them headed to his car and he opened the door for her, and hurried back around to the drivers side.