33: Know It All

47 seconds. Stuck in an elevator.

•••

Some people think they know it all, know it all (know it all)
But I spend all my days trying to improve (tryna improve)
Tell me how can I grow if you're standing on my toes (on my toes)
Because some people think they know it all, know it all (know it all)

Hoodie Allen - Know it All

•••

Kate emerged from the interrogation even more irritated than when she went in. A person can't brush of an event like that, a monumental, life changing event, and blame it on the amnesia. Although on the other hand, she was being a hypocrite, but it's not her fault. But then again it was.

She headed straight to her desk ready to look through the files, to be able to see if she could get any more information out of this guy, but she stopped and smiled when she saw a coffee cup sitting on her desk. She walked over and picked it up, slowly taking a sip, and realizing it was still hot. She turned over her shoulder looking for Castle, wondering where he was and why he wasn't playing 20 questions about the suspect she had interrogated. However, as she did a 180 degree turn she saw the back of his jacket rounding the final corner heading over to the elevator.  She set down her coffee on the table and began to speed walk over to him. He didn't seem to notice when she called his name so she tried his first.

"Castle! Cas-Rick!" The use of his first name caused him to turn around immediately. She rarely ever used his first name, but when she did it would throw him off. And this was no different. The elevator doors opened as she reached his side and he tried his best to get in alone. But he failed. Soon the elevator doors were closing with none other than Richard Castle and Kate Beckett inside. Tension was tight between them, and they both held their tongue not wanting to do anymore damage. But Beckett needed answers.

"Why are you acting like a child?" She blurted, raising her voice.

"A child? Come on-you know what, say what you want, I'm done."

"Done? What the hell does done mean?" She knew deep down what it meant, but she didn't want to face the truth, not if the truth meant losing him. Losing the only person who can bring her joy in her darkest moments.

"I'll mail you a dictionary." He scorned turning his body away from her, crossing his arms and retreating to the farthest corner away from her.

"Ok, what is going on, everything was fine between us, or it was at least getting better, I thought..." she trailed off. She didn't want to reveal too much.

"You thought what?" Castle said sarcastically. He was so upset with her, and he wanted nothing more than to get out of this elevator. But luck would not be on his side.

"Nothing. I just-" suddenly a jolt halted the elevator mid descent, followed by the flicker of the over head lights. The vibrations from the elevator were no more, and the once lit up bottom floor burnt was out. The elevator had stopped. Both Castle and Beckett looked around the tiny compartment in which they were trapped. It was slowly sinking in that there was no escaping this conversation, with little personal space and obviously hurt feelings, everything pent up inside was bound to pour out.

"You've got to be kidding me." Beckett groaned walking over to the control panel, pressing all of the buttons that could help, yet none of them resulting in any benefit.

"Hit the start button." Castle said matter of factly, taking a tiny step forward, seeming to take control.

"There is no start button Castle, there's an open door, close door, stop, and call for help button, if there was a start button that would have been the first thing I would've pressed." She snapped.