20: Remedy

Kate and Vaughn are engaged yet Kate is unhappy until she stumbles into the arms of Castle.

•••

But when the pain cuts you deep
When the night keeps you from sleeping
Just look and you will see
That I will be your remedy
When the world seems so cruel
And your heart makes you feel like a fool
I promise you will see
That I will be, I will be your remedy

Adele - Remedy

Katherine Beckett had everything she could ever want. Yet she had never felt so empty. She was engaged to billionaire and Nobel Peace Prize winner Eric Vaughn. He had charmed his way into her life and she was head over heels for him. He had treated her the way she dreamed and has given her everything she could need. She had met him on a case, during her first year of homicide, and he made her feel alive and like she mattered for the first time since her mother's death. She had confided in him about the case and how it constantly ate her up, over the fact that she wasn't able to solve it. He had consoled her and they had bonded over that night. She was instructed to be his bodyguard and spent the night in his hotel room, due to the fact that someone was out to kill him. That was the night it all began. She had told herself not to get attached to him, but after spilling the beans of her tragic life story that night in that suite she knew she was done for. He had been so calm and understanding, almost as if they were meant for each other. It seemed perfect. Almost too perfect. But at that time she didn't care. After the case was closed he had asked her out for drinks. Their 'relationship' was moving faster than she would've liked but it didn't occur to her that she would regret it in the future. After drinks he invited her back to his place and she accepted. Within the next three months he had swept her up in a whirlwind romance and had proposed. She of course said yes, because she could feel the love between them. But she had never really felt true love so she couldn't put a name on it. She just wanted to be happy. And he could give her happiness. He could give her anything. But now she had everything, and she just wanted him. But he was always busy, developing new ideas and products, which left him away from her most days and nights. Contrary to her beliefs that he didn't love her anymore, when he was home, he was constantly showering her with affection and gifts. They even brought up the topic of a family, and while she wanted one, she couldn't shake the feeling that he wasn't the right man to raise her kids. So she stalled the subject. But now, here she was, sitting alone in the living room of her giant Victorian style mansion, on another dark and stormy night, craving some feeling other than numbness. She was craving her fiancé. Kate had fallen asleep on the couch at around 11:30, holding back her emotions and hoping for the morning the fast approach. She was awoken from her slumber when she felt a pair of arms wrap around her thin frame. She shook her head from side to side and peeled open her eyes. She was being carried by Eric.

"Hey beautiful." He whispered as he laid her down on the bed.

"What time is it?" She asked as she rubbed her hands over her eyes.

"It's 1:14 in the morning." He said sitting down next to her.

"Why are you home so late?" She asked no longer tired but curious. She then sat up on her elbows and watched him speak.

"With all the storms hitting deep in the city, the power keeps going out at our facilities, and while we have back up generators, they do fucking nothing, which only keeps me away from you." He growled and leaned over her placing a kiss to her lips. Kate softly smiled and kissed him back with a peck attempting to pull away but Eric continued, climbing on top of her. She was not in the mood.

"Eric-Eric stop." She said placing her palms on her chest.

"What? Why?"

"Because it's one in the morning, that's why." She scoffed rolling back on her side, her back to him.