27: Close to Love (Part 2)

Previously on Close to Love...

"Always." He replied matching her smile. They stared intently into each other's eyes and Rick leaned in only to stop and advert from her lips, to place a gentle kiss on her cheek before turning and walking away.

As much as Kate wanted him to kiss her, she was thankful he didn't because she was still a little emotional over the ordeal with Josh, and a kiss on the lips would only make things worse.

If she hadn't gone on that ride then she'd definitely want more than a kiss from him tonight. But for now, and in that moment she was thankful for him being in her life, and couldn't have asked for a better night.

///

About a week later, Kate's fish was still alive, and so was her crush on Rick. Which would obviously never go away. She had just woken up during the second week of her summer vacation when a text from Rick popped up on her screen. Her heart fluttered in her chest as her thumb hovered over the text. He had said: Good morning! How's the fish doing? I would say see you at noon when we originally planned to meet, but I've been running a fever since the weekend. I was hoping it would go away but it didn't. I'm sorry Kate.

Are you kidding me? Kate thought. Why did he have to be sick now? He was pretty much her best friend aside from some of her girlfriend's which she rarely hung out with. But then an idea popped into her head. Should she? Could she? What if he said no? That would devastate her. She would think that he didn't want her and that would make her scared to face him again. But she decided to push through the fear and the anxiety and picked up her phone. In her response to his text she said: Hey, it's ok that we can't do what we originally planned for today but I was wondering if maybe you wanted me to come over and keep you company? I could even bring soup! No pressure though.

She pressed send and her heart felt like it was going to stop while waiting in anticipation for his answer. He was going to say no, she just knew it. But what felt like years of waiting in agony was only a mere minute or two. He replied. She carefully read the reply: I would love the company, and the soup, as long as it's chicken noodle!

Yep, that was her Rick. She couldn't help but laugh to herself as she got off of her phone and headed to her closet. It was rather chilly outside so she put on a pair of her black leggings (which deep down she knew Rick would appreciate) and a light dusty rose sweater. She hurried and did her skin and hair routine. She had showered last night so she didn't think it was necessary. She pulled on a pair a shoes and left her house, on the way to the store to buy Rick some chicken noodle soup.

When she entered the store she went straight to the counter where she bought some fresh soup. She roamed around a little bit, wondering what else would put a smile on his beautiful face. She grabbed some of his favorite candy and a cute little stuffed animal with a get well soon balloon. She paid for those and then with a little pep in her step headed for Rick's loft. On the way there she thought of his face when he answered the door and saw her with all this stuff for him. Would he think it was too much? Would he think she was annoying? As she shook all these thoughts away she entered his building. On the elevator ride up she tapped her foot nervously. When the ding rang and the doors opened she hurried down his hallway and raised her fist to knock but hesitated.

As all the negative thoughts flew back in she counted to three and did it anyways. She knocked lightly three times. She heard some shuffling from the other side of the door and her heart rate increased. This was it.

Rick opened the door with a smile on his face and it only grew the moment he laid eyes on her. His heart expanded three sizes when he saw her standing there in comfy clothes with more than just chicken noodle soup for him. And he was so very thankful.