14: Your Song

Castle has an alarming dream about the love of his life in danger and is trying to do everything to keep her from going to work. Will she listen? Will she stay? And if she goes what will happen?

•••

I woke up with a fear this morning
But I can taste you on the tip of my tongue
Alarm without no warning
You're by my side and we've got smoke in our lungs

Rita Ora - Your Song

•••

Castle jolted awake with incoherent stutters, sweat profusely leaving dripping from his pores. His eyes were wide and his breathe was hitched. He felt as though he couldn't move. Judging by the light in the room it was barely even dawn. He felt a warm pair of hands on his right shoulder and quickly averted his gaze.

"Castle?" Beckett asked, trying to see his eyes. His eyes were part of the reason she fell in love with him so much, and when he didn't meet her gaze it worries her, he didn't answer, "Castle!" She said a bit louder this time and Castle regretfully turned his head towards her while a few tears slid down his cheeks.

"Are you ok, Castle?" She asked, her emotions causing an empathetic wave to wash over her.

"You died." He bursted, Not able to suppress the wheels turning in his mind.

"I died?" Kate asked genuinely confused.

"You died."

"I'm going to need more here." She said with a firm tone although she was a little frightened at how much this seemed to shake him.

"Don't go to work today." He spoke quickly. Trying to keep his voice steady the quick few word sentences hid the fact that he was on the verge of breaking down.

"Castle-"

"Please," he begged, "Please, Please- just don't go to work today, ok?" He tried scooting to face her more.

"I can't just not show up to work."

"Kate."

"Rick."

"I have this feeling, and I don't know how to explain it expect other than telling you not to go to work today."

"You're not helping me understand this." She wanted to understand, wanted to know how real this dream felt to him.

"I can't lose you, Kate." He said speaking her first name for the second time.

"And you won't. I'm right here and you're not going to lose me, I can promise you that," She reassured him, or at least tried to, "I love you Castle." She leaned in and connected their lips in a comforting passion. Castle knew there was nothing he could do to stop her from leaving, but this wasn't just a dream. Beckett's had dreams where she was afraid to even open her eyes, but she did, and she's still alive.

"I love you too." He looked down at his lap.

"Do you want to tell me what your dream was about?" She gently smiled, wanting him to open up to her.

"I already did." He shrugged.

"But you didn't tell me how. Or where. Or when. Unless you don't want to." She quickly added after, not wanting to push him.

"It was an explosion, and you were right in the middle of it." Castle said, very, very quietly.

She gulped, "I'm sorry you had to go through that." She scooted closer to him and laid her head on his shoulder. He laid his gently on top of hers.