Chapter One

hi i wrote this story when i was like 16 srry abt that

Chapter One

"I can't believe it." My father sighed, as he dropped the last of the boxes on my dorm floor. "You're already in college. How could you leave me alone with your mother and sister? You know you're my favorite."

His joke pulled me out from my small case of anxiety that I had been slowly stuffing myself in since we got here. "Being the favorite has always been my greatest accomplishment."

"And at Trinity University, too. Since when did you become so prestige?"

"Since your wife made friends with the leader of a golf club." I joked, "You know the people with the knitted white sweaters and visor hats?" The only reason I'm here and able to attend Trinity University is because my mother forced herself into a golfing club that just so happen to be full of people that were what some would say, the antonym of our financial position. Really, high up, top-class millionaires. They loved my mother so much, (and practically doted on her golfing skills) that they offered to give me a scholarship, and an accepted pass to Trinity University if she helped coach them for the tournament that they were destined to lose. Apparently winning fueled their egos, and my mother took advantage of that.

My mother is ethical, not compassionate. She can easily see the dollar signs wherever money can be made.

He shook his head, "We do not fit in with this crowd." He quickly realized what he said and corrected himself, "Well, I don't, but you could. You're as beautiful as any twenty-something who bathes in the blood of us peasants."

I grinned and shrugged, "As long as I'm here, I'm happy."

"Did you see what these students are wearing? Half the women here are wearing cashmere. My wallet is sweating."

At that, I laughed, "Yeah, pretty sure I saw at least six people with Gucci purses." I opened a box, and began taking things out and placing them in the room, "I'll probably come back home this winter break with some Dior clothing and a massive bill. Oh, or some Chanel."

My dad stared blankly at nothing, as if his soul just departed from his being, "I think I need to sit down."

I snorted, "I'm joking, dad." It's not that I never wanted expensive name-brand clothing. God knows we would never be able to afford it, and paying so much for something so trivial like a purse is above my comprehension.

Of course, if I was a millionaire, maybe I'd think differently.

He grinned, "I know, sweetheart, I trust you," his lit-up face fell rather quickly, "But I don't trust the students here. Not one of them."

"It's not about the students." I said, as I sat beside him and leaned on his shoulder. He wrapped his arm around me, and pulled me tightly against him as a hug. "I just want to finally be someone who doesn't work two jobs in this family."

"You have no idea how much I want you to be successful, Ollie. I know you are coming to this school with full intent on studying, just remember that the kids here are animals. If they find out you are lower-class, and unfortunately, they will, they'll do everything within their power to hurt you. To humiliate you. It's just how the world works." Knowing how my father is treated at his job, I am well aware at how the world works.

"I already know that." My father has the tendency to be the over-bearing mother that my mother never was, "I'm old enough to take care of myself and not care about the taunting of a bunch trust-fund kids." This is something I have been thinking about for weeks now. I've already seen the judging looks me and my father got as we were walking into the dorms. My father is wearing shorts with an oil stain on the right side, and dirty sandals that are falling apart. It's not like we can't afford to buy him new clothes, he just doesn't care about what he looks like. My father has no shame. He's a mechanic, there's no point in buying new clothes when they'll just get dirty again.

It's hard to humiliate me, because I just don't care. I would have been fine going to community college, in fact, I'd probably be happier there. It was never a goal of mine to attend Trinity, especially because I can't relate with these students. I don't blame them for being rich, but I can't say I understand them either.

My mother would thoroughly disagree. I'm only here because of her, and because I can't say no to an opportunity to have Trinity University on my resume. 

My father and I hung out for another two hours before the sun began to set. Eventually, we both knew this time would come. The time we had to officially say our goodbyes, as he had to leave back to Nebraska, and I won't be coming with him.

He hugged me tight, and I had to compose myself, to make sure I wouldn't cry.

"I'll miss you and your mother will too." He was quick to add in that last part, as he knows my mom has a funny way of showing her love. There's no greater way, in her mind, for a parent to show their love, then by sending them to the most popular, and overrated school in the world.

Honestly, a simple 'I love you' would have done just fine.

I walked him out to the campus parking lot, and said my hundredth, and final, goodbye.

Watching him drive away was my awakening moment. I realized this is all happening, and it's happening now.

I'm officially a student at Trinity University, along with others with millions to their name. Last I checked I had thirty-six dollars in my bank account, which is honestly more than I expected at the time.

Two girls walked past me and I couldn't help but notice the looks I got, as I was wearing nothing but a cheap t-shirt and faded shorts that weren't faded for fashion purposes, they were just really, really old. 

Despite the uncanny difference in status and wealth between me and the two girls, I smiled at them both, and headed back to my dorm where I could finish unpacking, and hide from the Trinity students until class starts the next morning.