Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

He sat on the floor, his back against the wall, and for a long time, he just watched me. His piercing gaze glued on me with every move I made. It made me so uncomfortable that I was tempted to kick him out.  

But then I thought about how it was safer for him to not be alone right now, so I shoved my selfish thoughts aside, even if he'd probably yell at me once he sobers up.

I knew he was still feeling the side affects of whatever drug he was given, because his eyes were glazed, and his hands were still shaking, and I don't think he really understood he was sitting on the floor of my dorm with his clothes still soaking wet, and his curly hair dripping with water.

Finally coming to the conclusion that there was no way I could focus on my essay right now, I shut off my laptop, moved in front of Ezra, and sat down.

"Where were you?" I asked.

He blinked.

"Ezra?" I asked again, "Where were you?"

Finally, he spoke, his voice was quiet, cold, "Why do you care?"

I hugged my knees to my chest, "You're sitting in my dorm, on my floor. Because of you my hair is wet, and I think I stepped on a rock trying to rush you inside." I huffed, "That's why I care."

He leaned his head back against the wall, still, his eyes studied me like I was a puzzle he was trying to solve. Or maybe he was just so drugged he had no idea what to say or think.

I was not blind to how strange our situation looked. Ezra Scott was in my dorm, way past appropriate hours, and I had no real reason to not bring him to his own dorm.

Looking at him sitting before me, I almost did laugh at the ridiculous situation.

He's a billionaire, shouldn't he have bodyguards for situations exactly like this?

"You haven't committed to your side of our deal yet."

I narrowed, "What?"

"You didn't kiss me today."

"You can't remember where your dorm is, but you remember, of all things, that I still owe you a kiss?" This guy couldn't be serious.

He slowly pulled himself off the floor, leaning every ounce of himself against the wall for support.

I winced watching him try to stand on his own two legs. He was shaking violently, and yes, I pitied him. "Stop!" I grabbed hold of his arm, "You're going to fall and get hurt."

"I'm not five, Olivia."

"You're also not sober, so sit your ass back down."

He stumbled slightly, and immediately held back on the wall for support. I was still clutching his arm, refusing to let go until he was back on the floor. Despite doing exactly what I told him to do, he felt the need to add, "Don't tell me what to do."

"I'm just trying to help." I protested, relieved he wasn't fighting me for holding onto him.

"Well you aren't fucking helping."

"Oh my god you are such a-" I stopped, suddenly forgetting what I was saying as I focused on his face. Blood was dripping from his nose, and it took me longer than it should have to react. "Jesus, Ezra you're overdosing, no wonder you can hardly stand." I didn't wait for him to argue as I helped pull him onto my bed.

Finally, my instincts kicked in. "I need to call an ambulance." I frantically searched around for my phone, and but he stopped me, gripping my arm so tightly, I didn't realize he still had that much strength in him to begin with.

"Don't." He said, his voice strained, but still bold enough to make me hesitate.

"You need help-"

"I swear to God Olivia, if you call an ambulance I will kill myself in this room." I stopped. From the tone of his voice it really didn't sound like he was bluffing. "I am not going back to a fucking hospital."

We stared at each other for a long moment. I tried to think about whether I should still call or not, knowing if he died or slipped into a coma, it'd be on my hands for not getting help. He's Ezra Scott, if his body was found in my dorm, I'd be assassinated, or put on the death penalty.

But if I did call, what if he was serious?

I took a deep breath to calm my nerves, "Uhh, fine? But I really - I mean, really- don't know what to do to help you right now."

He shrugged as he clutched his head. He must be in a lot of pain.

I knew the symptoms of an overdose, I had a seen a kid in my senior class overdose right in front of me. He died not even an hour later.

I will not let Ezra die.

I grabbed a towel from my closet and sat beside him on my bed. I was a bit surprised that he didn't object when I held the towel up to his nose, wiping the blood. "I swear on my grandfather's grave, if you start seizing I'm calling an ambulance, do you understand me?"

He didn't say anything in response, so I kept silent.

He was sweating, despite his body shaking uncontrollably. I wrapped another towel around him in hopes that his clothes would dry quickly. I noticed the longer I was with him, the quieter and more out of it he became. He soon began to look even more pale and exhausted.

I gave in, knowing I would refuse to let him leave my sight tonight. What if he had a seizure and I wasn't around to help him? I let him lay in my bed. I don't think he was even aware of what was happening as he immediately passed out.

Christ, Ezra Scott was laying in my bed. Of all the things that could happen to me.

I stared at him, the circles under his eyes were protruding. His skin was an uncomfortable shade of white, like he had just risen from the dead. I watched his chest rise and fall only so slightly, that I knew I wasn't going to get any sleep tonight without worrying about whether he was breathing or not.

I should call an ambulance now, he passed out, he wouldn't know, right?

I glanced down at my cellphone that had fallen onto the floor. I contemplated it over and over, weighing the pros and the cons.

I then thought about the wristband he was still wearing, and how he had come from a hospital. Whatever reason he had been there for, he made it clear he did not want to go back.

I couldn't believe myself, as I sat on the chair beside the window.

Fine, I won't get any sleep tonight. I'll worry about the one boy in the world who I always thought I'd hate the most.

I pulled my knees up to my chest and rested my head on my arms. It was now storming; thunder and lightning were erupting across the sky. I kept my eyes on Ezra for what could have been hours, until I eventually fell into an uncomfortable sleep.