Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

Ezra's POV

I knew my parents were going to lash back. After the video of Olivia hitting me in class went viral in a matter of hours, Olivia was now known as the bitch who stood up to Ezra Scott. My father is probably pissed I let it happen. That it was my fault.  

When Olivia had told me her parents had lost their careers, I was already going to speak with my parents about it. I admit, I wouldn't necessarily be doing it for a moral reason, I was more determined to detest my parents' actions for involving themselves into my own personal life.

It is not their place. Olivia is not theirs to hurt.

The thing was, when she had hit me, when the entire classroom had erupted into gasps by those who had watched me just get humiliated in public. I wasn't angry. I wasn't even humiliated. She had looked so upset, so desperate to not make a fool of herself by begging me on her knees, she resorted to the one thing even I wouldn't have the bravery to do. She hit a Scott.

What was worse was when she pulled me into a classroom alone the next day to apologize. How she spoke to me without flaunting herself. Without treating me like a god as everyone else does.

She spoke to me like a human being, and it felt so strangely personal.

I wasn't sure if I liked it or not. Hell, I still don't know. God knows the amount of times I had wished as a child to not have money. To be seen normal. To not be what I am. A fucking Scott.

The apology was a disappointment though. I'm tired of apologies. I wish she never did.

Then came the party. In truth, I had already planned to get so drunk that night, that I'd forget my identity. I'd forget about my surname, and the power behind it. I'd forget that people only admired me for the numbers in my savings. I'd forget that I was the unlovable billionaire who couldn't even stand sleeping with a stranger because I don't want a stranger, strangers can't love you, strangers don't care. People like that lack so much quality.

But something had stopped me, I kept thinking, maybe I shouldn't get drunk yet. Not until I see her, not until she comes. So I waited, refusing every drink that was offered to me. When I had saw her friend, Vanessa, I knew she was my leverage. She was my ticket to see her again.

The kiss, God, the kiss. It had been a joke, I never thought she would actually do it. I probably shouldn't have been so surprised that she actually went through with it. It was the first time I had been kissed by anyone who wasn't after my money. She did it because she hated me.

Her hatred was a genuine emotion. Her hatred wasn't after my name. Her hatred was my fuel.

That night it was all I had thought of. It took everything I had to not pound on her dorm door and ask for more. I had never felt so much like a normal human being before. Like she was only seeing me, the asshole of a man, not the billionaire Scott. So, that next day I succeeded my previous plans from the party and got so drunk I had forgotten everything, except then, I was only trying to forget Olivia.

It didn't work.

I sat on the couch in the grey room. Grey, everything was grey. The ceiling, the walls, the carpet. The window was covered by curtains and it was so dark. I felt suffocated.

I can't breathe.

Then came the footsteps, they entered the room, and I closed my eyes, waiting. Listening. Trying to breathe. I can't.

"Hello, Ezra. It's been a while, hasn't it?"

I said nothing and waited for her to continue. I tapped my fingers on my knee, attempting to pace my rapid beating heart.