Chapter Twenty-Three

His room wasn't what I expected the room of a billionaire twenty-four-year-old to look like. In fact, my room seemed to have more life than his, which is saying a lot.  

The longer I stared, the more odd things I noticed about the room. How the walls were a bright shade of blue, a color I wouldn't have expected Ezra Scott to have. The window was open, and there were no curtains for it, which was strange considering Ezra is known for his privacy. His bed didn't have any blankets on it other than sheets. The weirdest thing of all was how the light was on, but the light switch was taped over, so nobody could turn it off. Did he sleep with the lights on?

Is Ezra Scott afraid of the dark?

I wished it was that simple, but something told me this was a bit deeper than that. A bit more psychological.

I finally looked at him, he disregarded the bag of food on a desk, and sat on his bed. He looked just as exhausted now as he did when he first got up this morning in my own bed.

I shouldn't have come here, but it had been bothering me all day since we were in the cafeteria. I knew there was no way I would be able to sleep tonight with him burdening my mind.

So, I sucked up my pride, and bought him dinner, even if he probably won't eat it, at least I can say I tried. Why I even care in the first place is beyond me.

"You know," I said clearing my throat, "Your room isn't as grand as I was hoping it to be."

"What were you expecting? Diamond fountains and gold chandeliers?"

"I would laugh but knowing the fact that you can actually afford both those things has dried out my sense of humor."

For a split second, I thought I had saw a small grin appear on his face, though it was gone so quickly I assumed it to be my imagination.

We both were silent for a long while, I didn't know what to say, or if I should leave. I tried not to stare at him, but for some reason I couldn't tear my eyes away. He looked so different at this moment. Like he was dwelling in a defeated state.

I don't think this is a state he allows most people to see him in.

I hated myself for pitying him. My heart broke seeing him look so absolutely miserable. Obviously something isn't right with him, however he was drugged, or why he was in the hospital to begin with. It made me wonder just how screwed up his life really is. A billionaire with his status is bound to have problems, I just couldn't figure out what they were.

I sighed and sat on the edge of his bed. Something I never thought I'd do.

I was on Ezra Scott's bed.

Ezra didn't seem to mind, as he even shifted slightly to give me more room. I realized how strange it was for him to invite me into his room, to not have slammed the door in my face and mocked me for the rest of the semester.

The thought occurred to me that maybe, just maybe, he didn't mind me in here because he was lonely.

Ezra Scott, the richest twenty-four year old was lonely. I'd laugh if it wasn't so heartbreaking.

"Ezra?" I spoke, not identifying my own voice.

"Hmm?"

"Do you have friends?" An odd question, I already regretted asking it.

"Friends?" He opened one eyes and glanced at me, "What the hell are you talking about?"

I pretended to examine his creepy room, "I mean is it true rich people have it harder than those who aren't rich when it comes to finding genuine traits in others?"