Chapter 23

Kai

     I eyed the older, Jamaican man sitting in front of me. He went by the name of Slice. I hated him with everything in me. When I was younger, Slice did business with my dad and they were somewhat close.

     One day, Slice picked me up from school and instead of taking me home, took me to his house. I trusted him so I didn't think anything of it, plus he told me that my dad would come for me in less than an hour.

     When we got to Slice's house, he had food waiting for me. I sat in his spacious living room eating my happy meal, watching CatDog. Slice disappeared into the back of his house and was gone for a good while. When four episodes of different cartoons were over, I started to worry about my dad.

     I threw my trash away and went into the back of Slice's house to look for him. I found him in his bedroom with the door cracked. I peeked through the crack and saw his arm moving quickly up and down. I looked closer and saw a picture of myself. Now even though I was young, I was very mature. I knew exactly what he was doing. I had no intention of letting him know what I saw, all I wanted to do was get out of there.

     I ran into the living room and found his house phone. I dialed Jai's cell phone number quickly but got no answer. After another attempt, I heard footsteps. I sped up but I knew it was too late.

     "What you doing, Kai?" Slice asked.

     "I was about to call my brother," I answered. "I'm ready to go home."

     "Jai is too young to drive," he responded.

     "He has friends. They have guns, too," I said with an attitude.

     He chuckled, "Why do you think I need to know that?"

     "What were you doing in your room?" I asked, ignoring his question.

     He cleared his throat, "What do you mean? Who told you that you could go back there?"

     "Don't worry about that, take me home! I bet you lied! My daddy is probably looking for me!"

     "Shut up little gal," he growled, grabbing my arm. "You aren't telling your daddy anything!"

     "Yes I am!" I hollered.

     "If you tell your daddy, I will kill your entire family! Do you understand?"

     I froze, "I understand. Please, take me home."

     He nodded before getting his keys and walking me to his car. I was silent the whole ride to my house.

     "Remember what I told you," he said before getting out in front of my house.

     "I remember," I assured him.

     From that day on, I changed. I got more interested in guns, killing, the drug game, being a thuggette even at that tender age.

     One day after being touched by him, my grandmother walked in on us. She cursed him out and was about to tell my father but he shot her in the head before she could.

     I swore to myself that I wouldn't tell what happened, that I would handle the situation myself when I was of age to. At my grandmother's funeral, I made him pick me up.

     "I will kill you," I whispered in his ear.

     He chuckled, "Sweet thing I'm leaving and you will never see me again."

     "I will kill you," I repeated. "Now put me down."

     He did as I said and walked away. That was the last time I saw him.

     Until now. .

     "Slice why are you here?" I asked, gritting my teeth.

     "I came to pay you a visit sweet thing," he chucked. "I remember I gave you that name because you used to taste so sweet. I'd bet my last dollar you still do."

     Cam cocked his gun, "What the fuck this nigga just say?"

     "Young blood, that's been my p*ssy since she was nine years old."

     In the blink of an eye, Cam had jumped over the living room table and was all over Slice. The only reason I wanted Cam to get off of him is because I knew how he got his name, Cam didn't. With one swift movement, Slice's blade was ripping Cam's skin.

     I ran over and started stomping Slice right in his face with my combat boots. Hurting Cam is only going to hurt you because I'll do my best to hurt you worse or take you out completely! When I was tired, I only saw blood and guns in Slice's mouth. Bruises and cuts covered his hard face.

     "Any last words, bitch?" I asked with my gun cocked.

     "That's the very same thing I asked your bitch ass daddy before I killed his ass," he mumbled, choking on his own blood.

     Those words struck a nerve and I began kicking and stomping him, again. I ran into the kitchen, got the biggest knife I could find, and put in right through his heart before shooting him in his head.

     Forgetting about Cam, I pulled Slice by his nappy dreads and began banging his head against the stone surrounding our fireplace. The fact that he was dead didn't phase me, I just wanted to hurt him until I couldn't do any more damage.

     When I was tired, I screamed as loud as I could. The anger I had built up inside of me wasn't completely out and all I wanted to do was kill someone else. I punched the wall, creating a small hole. I screamed again because of the pain but the anger, too. I turned around to see Cam laying on the floor, bleeding out, not moving.

     "Baby!" I ran over to him. "Baby, wake up!" I screamed while crying and shaking his motionless body. "Cam you cannot give up on me! Wake up!"

     Knowing I couldn't call an ambulance or get Cam to one of our vehicles, I called Jamie. He picked up on the first ring.

     "Hello?" he answered.

     "Jamie please hurry up, come to the house! Cam is bleeding out, I think he's dead! Hurry up, please!" I pleaded.

     "I'm on the way, baby girl," Jamie answered.

     "Hurry!" I pleaded into the phone one last time. I laid on top of Cam's rubbing his head the way he loves me to. "God please let him make it, please!"

     Exactly four hours later, I was sitting in the waiting room hoping a doctor would come tell me something. If my baby doesn't make it, I won't make it. Cam is every part of me, I swear.

     After another hour, a doctor came into the waiting room. Being that I was the only person sitting there crying, he came straight to me.

     "How is he?" I asked with butterflies in my stomach. "Is he awake?"

     "We had to resuscitate him twice but he made it. He had us scared for a minute but he's going to be just fine," he paused, "physically that is."

     "What do you mean by that, sir?" I asked, sincerely confused.

     "The police have a warrant for his arrest and we have to keep him here until they arrive," he answered.

     "Excuse me? What are you talking about? Am I on Punked? This cannot be life!"

     "I'm not in it, ma'am," he said before walking off.

     "What else can possibly go wrong?" I yelled, kicking over chairs. "Shit!"

     Why me?