Chapter 24

Kai

     "Baby, I'm sorry. I should've just chilled out instead of hustling. We was set for life," Cam said in regret.

     "Don't be so hard on yourself, babe. We gon' get you out and I'm gon' hold you down until that day comes, you know that."

     He kissed my hand, "I know. I just don't want you stressing or anything."

     My phone started ringing, I clicked the green circle to answer and put the phone to my ear. Cam's lawyer was on the other end.

     "Hello, Ms. Wright. How are you?" he asked.

     "I'd be better if I could take Cameron home, how are you?"

     "I'm fine and don't you worry, I have this under control as long as you and Mr. Alexander let me handle it with no interference from you two."

     "I promise I won't interfere and he won't either. When do we need to meet?"

     "You and I can meet in a few days but I need to pay Mr. Alexander a visit soon then see if I can get him out."

     "Sounds great, thanks for all your help," I said smiling. "Bye."

     "What he say?" Cam asked, anxiously.

     I told him the brief conversation his lawyer and I shared. He smiled with hope in his eyes and I smiled only because he smiled.

     "You not mad at me, baby?" he asked.

     "No, not at all. We gon' get you out of here soon enough, babe. I love you."

     "I love you, too." He kissed me and I stood up to leave. "I'ma call you when I can."

     "Promise?"

     He nodded, "Promise."

     I exited the building and got into my truck. I looked over at the passenger side seat and smiled at how it was positioned: slid back with the top laid down. Cam always has his seat positioned like that, driving or riding.

     When I made it home, I started packing my clothes; once again. I'm tired of having to pack and move. The last time I got comfortable in my house, someone was killed and I moved; here we go again! Being a wife, I think I should calm down. A mother, too.

     Cam and I will only have a few months to get married before I started showing and it's my mission to walk down that aisle before I have this baby. Speaking of the baby, nobody even knows I'm pregnant. I planned on telling Cam but Slice popped up and my baby went to jail. My life is everything but peaceful right now.

     I never have peace in my life, though. Either I'm killing somebody, putting together major moves, staying on top of police raids; everything! I just want things to go right for once in my life.

Cam

     "Listen here Cameron," my lawyer started off. "These people down here are crooked and only want money. You may not know it but Kai does and I damn sure do. All you have to do is talk to the right person, do a few payoffs, and walk out of here a free man."

     I looked at him with a smirk, "You make it sound so easy. These people down here can't stand me and been trying to put me under the jail since I was in high school. You think some big faces gon' get me outta' this hell hole?"

     "I don't think it, I know it. The person you need to talk to is Wesley Burns. He's your way out, Cam. If we go to trial, you're gone up that road. I'll be back tomorrow."

     "So you just gon' give me this name and leave? What the fuck am I even paying you for, man?" I asked, irritated.

     "If you really want to go home to your fiancé, that name is all you'll need. That name I gave you is your way out. See you tomorrow," he said before walking out.

     After a few hours, I decided it was time to pay Wesley Burns a visit. I had to flirt with a musty, blonde, anorexic woman just to talk to him but it's worth my freedom. In less than fifteen minutes of flirting, I was sitting in his office, right in front of him.

     "He needs to have a talk with you, baby. I don't let just anyone back here but he's in desperate need," she said to Wesley.

     I shook my head at her. She walks around this jail all day flirting with men and pleasing 'em behind closed doors while her husband is just up the hallway; that's a ho for you, though!

     "So what is it that you need to talk to me so bad about?" he asked.

     "My freedom," I answered.

     "What you in here for?"

     "Drug charges," I answered. "They just want me in here, man. How can you take me to jail just for thinking I'm moving weight? They have no proof but I ain't trying to go to trial. I got a fiancé out there that I'm in love with and I want to marry and have kids by. I can't stay in here."

     "I'll cut you a deal, Cameron."

     "Any amount, just shoot a number and I got you."

     "One hundred grand," he answered. "Under one condition."

     "What's that?" I asked, getting anxious.

     "Don't give them pigs any reason to bring your black ass back in here. Understand?"

     I nodded, "I gotchu'."

     Instead of calling Kai, I got Jamie to come pick me up. He dropped me off at the house and I used the key on top of the door to get in. I saw boxes all over the living room floor. Getting close to the stairs, I heard Plies's new mixtape playing so I knew she was home.

     I walked into the room and saw her standing on the other side, putting clothes into a box. Being quiet, I sneaked up behind her. Taking advantage of the fact that her hair was in a ponytail, I blew cold air on the back of her neck.

     In one swift movement, Kai had a blade pressed up to my neck. I put my hands up, laughing at her thuggish ways. Her eyes got big then she jumped right on me, wrapping her legs around my waist.

     "Cam! What you doing here? I was about to kill yo' ass," she said laughing.

     "I got some shit done by myself, I didn't want you to know I was coming home. I wanted it to be a surprise."

     "It was a surprise but I'm kind of mad because I don't have dinner and a hot bubble bath ready for you to soak in."

     "It's good baby, I wanted to try that new sushi spot uptown before I went in. You want to go?" I asked, taking my shoes off. "And what's up with all these boxes?"

     "We're moving, again. After what happened downstairs, I don't want to stay here. I already found a place, too. I paid cash for it and took care of everything so we just have to move in."

     "Word? Where it's at?"

     "About ten minutes from downtown,"she answered. "Its really nice, baby."

     "As long as you like it, I'm good. About the sushi place, though. You want to go?"

     "I can't," she hesitated.

     "Why can't you?" I raised an eyebrow.

     "Because it's not good for the baby," she answered.

     "The what? What you just say, Kai?" I asked, trying to make sure I heard her right before I got excited.

     "I'm pregnant," she said.

     "What? Aw shit!" I picked her up and spun her around, kissing her. "We pregnant, baby? I'm gon' be a daddy! I love you, Kai."

     She laughed, blushing, "I love you, too. I always will, babe."