America

I groggily opened my eyes to hear a voice come over the intercom saying, “Attention passengers, we are about to land, please turn off all electronic devices and put up your trays, thank you.” I shot up, realizing what he had said. I was about to enter America! I frowned realizing I would be in a new country, all by myself, hiding from Matthew. My heart began to race as I felt the plane descend.

            I rarely did anything bad unless it was with Dillon and those days were long gone. It has been a few years since I really disobeyed my parents and did something bad. Yeah, I know I was a goodie-good, but could you blame me? Every day I feared my parents would shun me or force me to marry Matthew. Now look at me, I was in America, breaking all the rules and may not ever see my parents again.

            Before I knew it, I was getting off the plane and surrounded by unfamiliar scents and sights. It seemed to be even hotter here than in Cadellan, which sucked on every level. And to top off the heat, I was wearing a black dress, which wouldn’t help when I was outside.

            I wasn’t sure what to expect when I arrived in America. I only learned the very basics of the country. I knew that during World War III, the United States was the only country to remain a democracy and to change the least. The rest of Europe and Asia turned into kingdoms and small countries, but countries before the war were torn apart and remapped. Cadellan was apart of the country called France, but France no longer exists; it became about fifteen kingdoms, mixed in with towns.

            Everyone wished to enter the United States but restrictions were put up, which forbid certain people to enter the country. No one of German, Japanese, Russian, or Chinese descent were allowed to enter. These were the main countries that fought against the United States. Thankfully, I was from France, or at least what used to be it so I was able to come here.

            The U.S. allowed teens and young adults from other countries come here because they felt bad that we were trapped in monarchies and dictatorships. If any adult from Cadellan wanted to come to the U.S., they would have to fill out tons of paper work and pay extra money, which most people didn’t have, so they stayed in their countries.

            I glanced around to find that most people were young and white. There was little racial diversity, and World War III was the reason for that. I exited the airport, letting the burning sun blind my eyes. I debated on getting a car but knew that it would waste the little money I had left. I needed to find other werewolves before I ran out of money.

            I started to walk away from the airport, heading to the nearest set of woods that was about a mile or so down the road. It was obvious that I was going to have to man up and learn as much about this country as I could. There was no way I could afford to go back to Cadellan. Then I knew that I should get as far away from the airport as possible because if Matthew decided to follow me here, then he could track me down. I needed to just keep moving and try to find the answers I needed.

            I sighed with relief when I arrived at the woods, covered in sweat and in desperate need of shade. This was already going to be a really long day, that’s for sure. I began to wander through the woods, having no idea where I was going or what I would find out in the woods. There had to be someone out there, who knew about werewolves.

            When I was about an hour or so in the woods, I decided it would be best if I shifted and ran to try and find others like me. I slipped off my clothes, not wanting to lose the only clothing I had left. I shifted into my white wolf and picked up my bag with my money in it and my clothes. I took off running, enjoying the breeze I got from it. There was a growl that I overheard to my left and I stopped dead in my tracks. A light brown wolf entered from out of the trees. It was obvious that it was a female from the feminine looking features of her face.