The Past

As soon as we entered the territory, about ten wolves surrounded our cars, running along side us as we drove slowly down a gravel path to a huge looking mansion. I imagined that our pack house looked like this, since I never really got a good look at ours. I wondered what Austin was like? He had to be a ruthless, killer.

            Once we parked our cars in front of the house, a tall, muscular guy stood in the doorway, his arms crossed as he glared at us. Jace had told me that Alphas, Betas and third in commands had to allow each other on their lands as an act of hospitality unless they were at war. Even though this guy clearly hated us, he had to welcome us in to the house to see Austin. I could feel the power coming from him, so I assumed he was the Beta.

            We got out of the car, and Jace immediately wrapped his arm around my waist, protectively. I had to admit that I was terrified. The tension in the air was already thick. I knew Jace would protect me know matter what. Thought he wasn’t his strongest and was just recovering, so what if he couldn’t protect me? What if there was a fight and Jace was hurt or killed because of his injuries? I forced myself to stop thinking that way.  

            “Hello James.” Jace greeted in a harsh tone.

            “Nice to see you, as always.” James said sarcastically.         
            Jace ignored the comment and we walked inside the house and Jace led the way, not bothering to let James show the way. I knew that Jace already knew where he was going. Zack was on the other side of me, and I knew I was the person that everyone was responsible for protecting. Sure, Jace was important, but he came after me, which I found stupid.

            We walked down the hall of the house, which was surprisingly empty. Jace threw open the door at the end of the hall and walked in like he owned the place. I could practically feel the anger building up within Jace.

            The first thing I noticed was that there were about four werewolves sitting on couches in the office that we were in. Austin must have known we were here and called for backup because Jace wouldn’t hesitate to kill him. Who I assumed was Austin, sat in the chair behind the desk we were standing in front of. His legs were resting on top of the desk and his hands behind his head.

            Just by looking at this guy, I knew he was cocky and arrogant. He wanted to piss Jace off more than normal. Well he looked pretty professional to me. I rolled my eyes at the sight of this fool. To think that this was the man who tried to kill me and Jace. Just like other werewolves, he was pretty good looking. He was physically fit, and short black hair to give him the bad boy image.

            “I was expecting you, sooner or later.” Austin smirked.  

            Jace dropped his arm from around me and stomped over to the desk where he pushed Austin’s feet off the desk, along with all the papers on it. Jace gave him a smirk, though this wasn’t a happy smirk, but a cruel one. Austin’s men were about to charge Jace when Austin ordered them to stop.

            “We have an important matter to discuss.” Jace said, crossing his arms.
            Austin seemed to ignore Jace’s comment as his green eyes scanned the room, until they fell upon me. He smiled at me, causing Jace to growl at him.
            “Nice to meet you, Luna.” Austin said to me, but Jace stepped in front of me, blocking my view from Austin.