Too Good To Be True

I sat in the library, searching through the ending amount of books. This was heaven for me. If only I had a place like this in Cadellan, then I wouldn’t have disliked being locked away in the palace. Though, I guess my parents never knew I loved reading, it was a sort of secret hobby I guess. Now, I wish they would have known about it, just because they might never see me again. As much as the made me mad, I was missing them. I stopped thinking about then, knowing it would be too hard to fight back the tears.

            Zack sat on the couch across the room, playing with his phone. I frowned. He looked extremely bored and I was confused on how that was possible. Who could hate reading? There was so many adventures and world that books created. Books are truly amazing. I walked over to him, and ripped the phone from his hands. As much as I loved electronics, books were way better and should be respected and not replaced by the newest phone. I hid the phone behind me back and glared at him.

            “How can you play on your phone when we are surrounded by thousands of masterpieces?” I asked.

            “Easily, I was just doing it before you too it away.” He frowned, crossing his arms, pouting like a five year old. I wished electronic were taken away for a week and that would force people like Zack to actually read a book for fun. Sooner or later I would make Zack read a book, even if it killed me.

            I rolled my eyes at him and threw his phone, not bothering to look where I threw it. He managed to catch my throw and I continued to look at all the books. I could probably live in here for the rest of my life if I have food and water with me. Zack stood up, looking as bored as ever.

            “I’ll be back; I need something to eat if I’m going to be stuck in here all day.” He smirked as he headed towards the library door.

            As soon as he shut the door, I rose to my feet and quietly headed for the door. This was my chance to explore without Zack. You may think I’m stupid, but I really don’t care. Ever since Zack told me about the room that I’m not supposed to go in, I felt the need to go in there anyway. What could be the worst thing anyways? Dead bodies? No, I highly doubt that there are dead bodies in there. Those kinds of things only happen in horror movies.

            When I was positive Zack was gone, I slowly opened the door and tiptoed out of the library and down the hall to where the isolated door was. This was it. I just hoped I didn’t regret disobeying Zack. I stood in front of the door and had a mental argument with myself on whether or not to enter. Curiosity got the best of me and if I was going to live in this house, I needed to know what was in it.

            I opened the door, making sure not to make any noise as I stepped in the room. There wasn’t a room, like I expected, but there was a set of stairs leading to what I guessed was a basement. I crept down the stairs, being the quietest I’ve ever been before. My heart started to race, my mind in a million different places. As I descended down the stairs, I started to heard groans and cries.

            My hands began to tremble as I got closer to the man who sounded like he was getting beaten up. The sound of punching echoed the basement. I wanted to stop, afraid of what I would find but I couldn’t help it. Whoever was down there, needed help. I was almost to the bottom when I heard a familiar voice.