Chapter 26

Lindsey

I had a job interview today at a high school

I had a job interview today at a high school. It was a teaching position. I figured a good way to get myself together would be finding a job. Of course, my family has money and I really wouldn't have to work if I didn't want to but I figured it would be something good for me to do since Cashmere and I are through, Danity and I aren't friends anymore and since I'm just trying to get my life back on track for Daniel's sake.

Daniel's all I should really be concerned about, but Danity and Cashmere got in the way of what's most important and that's Daniel. So I'm doing this all for him since I interviewed at the high school he's going to in the Fall. It'll give me a chance to get out of the house, put some good use to the degree I spent money and time on in college and it'll give me a chance to be around Daniel and see what he's up to with the chicken heads at his high school.

I climbed the steps of my house and took a deep breath once I got to the top of the steps, but I put a smile on my face when I saw the light on in Daniel's room. I wonder how things went with Cashmere this afternoon. I told them both to text me or call me once Daniel got back home but I didn't hear anything from either one of them about how things went, only Daniel texted me saying he was back home. I really didn't want Cashmere around my son but he just kept blowing my phone up about hanging out with Daniel, so he could have a father figure in his life so I just gave in. Cashmere's far from being a father figure to my son, but I figured it wouldn't be bad if Cashmere picked him up from his game this evening since I wasn't able to do so.

I knocked on Daniel's bedroom door before walking inside, only to find him laid back on his bed on his phone. "No homework tonight?"

"I did it before the game," he mumbled with an attitude.

I frowned. "Hello to you too then," I said as I took a seat on the edge of his bed. "Get off of your phone. I wanna talk to you."

Daniel sighed as he put his phone on his nightstand. "Yes?"

"Who are you talking to? You gotta girlfriend?" I smirked, finally making him smile.

"Nah, Mama. I'm not talking to nobody. What's up?"

"Nothing, I just wanted to see how things went with Cashmere this afternoon."

Just as soon as his smile was on his face, it was gone in an instant. "Fine," he mumbled.

"Well things don't seem fine. You seem upset. Did something happen? Because if it did, then you know you can tell me anything. Did he do or say something to you?"

"No."

"I don't believe you. Tell me the truth."

"I am."

"No you're not Daniel. I can tell when you're lying and I know you're lying to me right now. What happened? What are you trying to hide?"

"Nothing Mama, dang! I said nothing happened, so just drop it. Even if something did happen, I could handle myself."