Chapter-6: "I mean...I do, Ma'am!"

An ardent knock is heard on Noor's door, the next morning. Noor smiles. She never liked being stood up.

"Asalamualikum, Mr. AbdurRahman. You have arrived at," She looks at her clock, "10:58 a.m., when my email clearly stated the time-11:00 a.m."

"But, Miss, My watch here, states 11:00 a.m." He looks at his watch, clearly confused and scared.

She presses a button, on the side of her table. Sahil comes, with an apprehensive expression.

"Good Morning, Asalamualikum, Ma'am! How may I help you?" He questions, while straightening his tie.

"Do you have a wrist watch, which states the correct UTC+03:00 time?"

"Huh?"

She raises an eyebrow.

"I mean...I do, Ma'am!"

"Give it to me, please!"

He hesitates, before unbuckling his watch, from his wrist. He gives it, to Noor.

Fahad stares, in shock. Is this why she had called him?

"Thanks you, for complying, Sahil. Take this," She hands him, a 100 Saudi Riyal bill. "Buy yourself, a new watch. And, as you are heading back, send in Nina, please!"

"Yes, Ma'am," He leaves.

"How are you doing, today?" Noor asks Fahad. He is still hovering by the doorstep.

"I am doing fine, Alhamdulillah. And you?"

She notices, Fahad's face, dotted with a scruffy beard and tousled hair.

"Alhamdulillah, I am doing well, too." She states, while rubbing the leather of the watch, between her fingers.

Nina comes. "Yes, Ma'am?"

"Just a minute. Can I have your watch, now, Fahad?"

He swiftly unbuckles his watch, not wanting to ruin his reputation, in front of the CEO.

"Here you go!" He hands it, to Noor.

"Nina, Could you sell this watch, to one of the street vendors? With the money collected, keep some for yourself, while donating some, to the charity!"

"Yes, Ma'am!" She scurries off, with Fahad's watch, in hand.

"You can keep this watch, Fahad," She states, while ushering him, in, "Hopefully, Sahil's watch works right. If it doesn't, then, I would have to cut off some costs, from his monthly wages."

"Yes, Ma'am!" He walks ahead of her. He was gonna work for an amazing CEO, isn't it? Not.

She could see that Fahad actually towers over her, in height. He has a glide-y stance, she notices. She is doing that a lot, today!

~~~

Noor sits down, on the antique office couch, while Fahad sits opposite her, with a cup of tea, in front of both of them. The aromatic scent of this beverage, whiffs past them, as they sit, in silence, while occasionally sipping on the hot tea.

"I called you here, because, I wanted to discuss about your interview," Fahad's interest rises up, at the sound of these words.

"What about it, Ms. Noor?" He questions, while sipping tea.

An un-occasional chill crosses Noor's spine, on hearing her name, from the mouth of the gentleman, who sits across her. She waves it off, before straightening up, in order to look professional, at the moment.

"I had given the position of my secretary, to Mr. Eric Williams, since, he proved himself to be the rightful candidate. But, since, he has already been hired, by another company; I would like to hire you. You weren't on time, but, you too possessed the qualities, I needed, in my Secretary. Therefore, I would like to give you this post."

He smiles.

"I can see that, with you as our Secretary, we would reach greater heights."

"Thank you, Ms. Noor!"

"We are privileged to have you, Mr. Fahad. I want you to call me, Ma'am, only. Since, all of my staff, calls me, that."

"Yes, Ma'am!"

"That's right! You can join work, by day after tomorrow! Your contract will contain, all the other details, like office timings and holidays, which you will get, tomorrow! But, I will just tell you,"

Noor grabs a file, from the top of her desk. "Your work timings are from 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. But, if I will need you at odd hours, you will have to attend to my work needs."

"Yes, Ma'am!"

"Do you have a family, Mr. Fahad?"

"I just have a mother, Ma'am. Why do you ask?"

"I didn't want distractions in work, that's why!" He hums in response, pleased with Qadr.