Chapter-24: "I wanted to help you,"

"Fahad," Ameena greets him, the next day, as he returns from work.

"Asalamualikum Ammi jaan,"

"Walaikumasalam. Change out of your work clothes; I have something to tell you,"

~~~

Ameena pours a spoonful of dal-makhni, into his plate, before beginning.

"I wanted to ask about Noor,"

"What about her?"

"She seems like a nice girl..."

"Hmm," He takes a bite, out of the roti.

"for you..."

He stares at his mom, as if, she was joking.

"I am serious," She mutters, deadpanned.

"Ok..."

"She is a great girl. What if, I send her a proposal?"

"What about me? I am supposed to be the one, marrying her."

"Right...So, what do you think of her?"

"I" He clears his throat. He'd never thought that they would have such a conversation.

"She is my boss, Ammi. But, person-wise, she is nice, as you said. She is a strong believer of Allah, and, she is beautiful,"

Ameena raises an eyebrow.

"I thought I had to answer, truthfully," He states, sheepishly.

"Continue..."

"She is a very strong woman, Ammi. A lot of guts are required, to compete in the world of powerful men. She is one of those, who have an unwavering faith, on themselves."

"Have you seen her face, without her niqab?"

"No,"

Ameena notices the glint in his eye; the kind of glint, which she had, when she would look at Kasim and would be caught staring at him.

"So, should I send her a proposal?"

"I'll have to check my contract, first!"

"Why so?"

"Let me check, if there are any restrictions, regarding, personal relationships with colleagues."

~~~

Fahad knocks on Noor's door. She beckons him, in, while pulling out some files, from the shelf.

"Asalamualikum," A fuzzy feeling envelops her.

"Walaikumasalam," She replies while trying to pull out a cardboard box, from the top of this shelf.

"I'll help you out," Fahad offers.

"No, thank you," She clearly knew, that, something, inappropriate would happen.

She tries pulling this box out. It falls with a thud. Fahad chuckles while picking the contents of the box.

"I said, that, I wanted to help you,"

She ignores him while asking, "Why are you, here, anyways?"

"Can I see my contract?"

"You want to make amends?"

"No...I just wanted to see it,"

"Don't you have a copy at home?"

"I do, but..." But, he wanted to see Noor's reaction, when he would drop hints, about his mother's proposal.

~~~

"Isn't there anything, about-Not having personal relationships, in the contract?"

"Not quite. Why do you ask?"

He says, a slightly audible-"Oh, good!"

Noor eyebrow immediately shoots up.

"Oh, nothing," Fahad shakes his head.

Noor suddenly wanted to know, who Fahad liked. Not that she cared! She had a hunch, that, Fahad liked Danice, who is part of the Design Department.

"Ok, JazakAllah Khair," He mutters while trying to act like he is overly thankful.

Her heart drops a beat while looking at his enthusiasm. She suddenly feels cold.