Chapter-9: "Mr. AbdurRahman has arrived, Ma'am!"

8:27 a.m.

Far beyond the vicinity of Noor's office, skyscrapers reach out to the early morning sky.

All her life, Noor wanted to be big and strong. She wanted to overpower the male dominated economy.

Her parents always taunted her. They thought so less of her, since, she was a girl. Being in an Arab family, her parents were very strict followers of Islam. They hadn't gotten, what Allah s.w.t had said, about treating men or women, girl or boy, equally.

"Abbi, Ummi, Naina has invited me, to her birthday party. Can I go?" Nine year old Noor had questioned her parents, while holding out a gaudy invitation. She was afraid of them, but, she still loved them.

They gave her chocolates, sweets and other goodies, she loved. But, she always wanted to visit her friend, outside school.

Naina always talked about her pet fishes. Noor wanted to see them.

"No," Abdullah, Noor's father had stated, sternly, which saddened Noor.

Her dad was afraid that, their kafir ways, would influence his daughter.

Her parents were always afraid of the world. They would protect and keep her hidden. Her mum always worried about the ruthless men, who dotted the community, till today.

The Bluetooth earpiece vibrates against her ear, breaking her, from her stance.

"Mr. AbdurRahman has arrived, Ma'am!" Hassan, their security guard says.

"Ok, Hassan. I am coming down!" The call gets disconnected, with a beep.

She takes a look, in the mirror, while inspecting the black gown, she had on, with a royal blue blazer.

~~~

"Asalamualikum," She greets Fahad, who had a striking smile on.

Beware of the opposite gender. By Allah, they will lead you to the wrong. She remembers these words, said by her mother, to thirteen year old, Noor, when she had first, talked about her bus mate.

"Walaikum asalam, Ma'am" He answers, while following the footfalls, created by Noor's Mary Janes'.

Noor paid no heed to her mother's words, yet, they still lingered.

She introduces him, to all the staff of Cups and Cakes Inc.

They are such a great team, Fahad admires, while thanking Allah s.w.t for making him, one of them.

~~~

"And, this is your room," Noor states, while gesturing towards the sun caked room. All thought it is the middle of September, the summer prevails.

Fahad takes in the new surroundings; the bland room, the faint scent of perfume, the view-it is breathless.

He looks at the window, before him, while getting comfortable, on his chair.

Noor has now returned to her CEO chair, while occasionally jotting down something, he notices. She looked quite right; for the job, for the position.

He had a lot of getting used to, to do. He had to first, brighten up, the room. He couldn't get bored, in here.

His phone rings, from the side.

"Bhaiya ji," Shahina states, in a Pakistani drawl. "Aap kabhi ghar aa rahe ho, when are you coming home?"

"After sometime, kyon, Why?"

"Aacha, theek hai, Bhai, Ok. I wanted to prepare something for dinner. Allah Hafiz," She disconnects the phone.

He returns to what he was doing, earlier; watching his CEO, at work.

~~~

"How is the new cupcake flavor?" She questions Jane Rodgers, their Connoisseur-food expert.

"Very well, Ma'am. All though, I would like to lessen down the sugar content, since, diabetes is now, quite consistent in children, too."

"Yeah, sure. Do the necessary changes, before sending in a sample."

"Yes, Ma'am! I would do the changes!" She hangs up.

~~~

Fahad works all morning, trying to create the perfect design, for Jeremiah Leasburg's son, according to his preferences. With occasional breaks and errands to complete, he has succeeded in doing so.

He gives, Noor the completed design. She looks at him, impressed, while putting the design, inside the folder, in order to fax it to Mr. James, the next morning.

"Take care of your Mom, Mr. AbdurRahman," Noor states, while resigning towards her car.