Chapter-12: "Call me, Shawna, my dear."

November had just arrived, while changing the atmosphere, drastically.

Woolen clothes and accessories decorated the panes of the shops, in Al Qasr Mall, jolting the winter feels, inside Noor, when she had just felt the soft wool, against her skin, last week, when, she had gone to buy herself, a warm cardigan.

She reminisces this moment, while sipping on hot chocolate, early in the morning.

The Manager of Carter Enterprises, Shawna Melvin was being expected, today, at around 1:30 p.m.

Mr. Carter Duncan, the owner of Carter Enterprises was quite impressed by the almost sky-high profits, earned by the Cups and Cakes Inc. He wanted to invest in their stocks.

Mr. AbdurRahman knocks on the door, while breaking her trance.

"Yes, Mr. AbdurRahman?"

"Ms. Melvin is on her way."

"Ok, I will be out, in a minute."

She looks at herself, in the mirror, while adjusting her niqab. She straightens the beige blazer, she has on, while searching for any stains, on her white dress. She is a very messy person!

A messy, perfectionist!

She exits her room, before following Mr. AbdurRahman, into the elevator.

An elevator operator gestures them inside, after which, they start their quiet descend, to the Meeting Room, which is on the ground floor.

"JazakAllah Khair, Bhai," Noor thanks the old Elevator operator, as he lifts his prayer cap up, and bows, with respect.

~~~

"Good Afternoon, Ms. Melvin. Please, have a seat," Noor politely gestures towards the chair, opposite her.

"Call me, Shawna, my dear." She grins, humbly, while placing a Gucci handbag, in the chair, beside her.

"Good Afternoon, Ma'am." Fahad greets politely, and gracefully rejects her hand, which was held out, by Ms. Shawna, while placing in it, Noor's office card.

Who knows why he has it?

~~~

"That's wonderful," Noor exclaims, while beaming lavishly.

"My boss had already decided that, before my arrival," She explains. "He wants to meet you personally. But, he wanted me, to check out, first."

"Yeah, that's justifiable," Noor states, while eying Fahad, who is lazily toying with a pen.

"So it's settled, Right?" She questions, while taking out two boarding passes, from her handbag.

"It is, Yes,"

"Mr. AbdurRahman?"

"Yes, Ma'am?" He answers, almost immediately, while being awakened, from his stupor.

"Do we have any appointments, tomorrow, or the day after, or the day after that, or the day after the day, after that?"

"No, we don't, Ma'am," He scrolls, through Noor's schedule.

"So it is done, then. A cab will come to pick you, at around 3 a.m. An hour, before departure. You will be staying, in one of our luxurious hotels, in L.A." She states, in a distinguishable American accent.

A gasp leaves Fahad's mouth.

"Umm...Ma'am, Can I talk to you, for a minute?"

"Yeah?" She walks out, with Fahad.

"What about my mom, Ma'am?" He frowns, while stating his concerns.

~~~

Fahad's mom would be staying at Noor's house, with two servants, looking after her, for which, Noor is paying. Fahad had told her, not to, but, she had insisted.

This bond, with the Carter Enterprises, is a great deal for Noor's Cups and Cakes Inc. A major leap would cause an increase in their profits. And plus, they would be getting a 4-day vacation to L.A., for crying out loud.

Fahad needed a break, too; from the work stress and his mother.

~~~

That night, both of them, in their respective houses, pack their belongings, for their flight, which is the next morning.

The schedule was already planned.

They would be taking the 4:20 a.m. Emirates flight, from Riyadh International Airport, to Los Angeles International Airport, via, Dubai.

They would arrive, the next day, in Los Angeles, at around 3 a.m. Their stopover in Dubai, would last for an hour.

The temperatures in L.A. are not that cold, or hot, Noor had noted, from a search, on Google. Accordingly, she had kept her outfits.

She plops onto her bed, as Fahad pops on his bed, while thinking about the quietness, of his house. His mother was already in Noor's house. With difficulty, she had been taken there.

Mrs. AbdurRahman slept peacefully, in Noor's spare bedroom, while not even noticing the difference.

What had Allah done to her? Was he punishing her, for a sin? She couldn't tell, in her sleep.