Chapter-22: "No. They died,"

"So, the kebabs are just turning golden, under the flame, while the chicken kadai is simmering down. Do I need to do, anything else?"

"Jazak Allah Khair, Shahina. Can you come and tie my hair, for me?"

"Yes, Baji!"

~~~

After work, Fahad takes a warm shower, while making an effort, to thaw his body. The unbearable cold restricted them, to stay indoors.

He puts on a simple black kurta-pajama while setting his hair, in place.

~~~

Noor didn't know what to do. Her clothes were quite neatly stacked, yet, her hijab is being a problem.

Her arm aches, as she, yet again, wraps the material around her face.

Ameena had said, that, the dinner would be served around 8:30 p.m., which meant that she had half-an-hour to drive there.

She quickly tries her scarf on before putting on, a sartorial niqab.

~~~

"Asalamualikum," An old lady, who would be, in her 50s, opens the door.

"Walaikumasalam," She replies while slipping her sandals, off.

"I am Shahina," She introduces herself.

"Noor," Noor states while entering the house, which looks quite decent.

The interior is a hue of light gray, while the furniture is basically wood. The lights make the food on the table, look quite tempting. Yet, she takes her place, on a threaded recliner.

~~~

"How are your parents?" Ameena questions, while popping a piece of chicken, in her mouth.

"They aren't, here,"

"They are in an Old Age home?" She questions, with mock concern.

"No. They died,"

"Oh,"

All of them mutter a quick Inallahi-wainailihi-rajioon.

To Allah, we belong and to Him, we shall return." (Surat Al Baqarah 2:156)

"I am so sorry," Ameena apologizes, for her snide remark.

"It's ok, Mrs. AbdurRahman,"

"Call me Ameena," She states while handing her, a piece of Naan.

~~~

Fahad loved how his mother had been treating Noor. He felt sad after he hears, that her parents had died.

She looked beautiful, Ma sha Allah, in the blue rhinestone abaya she had worn. She looks beautiful, every day.

He shouldn't notice his boss, too much, he knew, but...

~~~

The chicken curry, which was called-Chicken Kadai, tastes like heaven, while the kebabs were wonderful, different from the falafels, she usually eats.

Shahina had done a great job.

She could see that Ameena is now recovering. She could walk around the house, with just a slight hobble.

Alhamdulillah, Ya Rab!

~~~

"JazakAllah Khair, for coming," Ameena drops a kiss on her forehead, with sympathy, while bidding farewell.

Shahina shuts the door, behind her, as Fahad leaves, to change out of his clothes, for bed. She helps Ameena sit down while massaging her legs, with olive oil.

"How old is Fahad?"

"29, I think, why?"

"Isn't he getting married?"

"He hasn't mentioned it," Ameena states while relaxing her back, on the recliner, in her room.

"So, he is not getting married."

"I want him to, but..."

"Noor is a great girl, I noticed."

"So?" Ameena questions, with a raised eyebrow.