Chapter-25: "You want me to ask her?"

Dressed in her sweatpants, Noor grabs a notepad and a pencil, to get her mind off of certain things.

She lets the wooden pencil take control of her mind, which proves to be a bad move, on her part; since, in a while, on the paper before her, appear a pair of familiar eyes.

She lets the pencil go, almost instantly, while staring at these eyes, which she had just drawn.

Shoving the notepad, into the chest of drawers, by her bedside, she gets up, to get herself, a glass of water.

Upon her return, the phone rings. She eagerly grabs the phone, in order to divert her attention, completely, from the person, in her head.

But, fate had something else in store. She answers the phone, only to be greeted by the person, who is invading her head.

"Asalamualikum," She sighs.

"Walaikumasalam. I am sorry to disturb you, Ma'am," You have been doing that, lately...

"I just wanted to know the date, decided by you, for the meeting with The Food Stuff team,"

"20th of this Month. 20.03.2017"

"Alright. Good Night, Ma'am," He disconnects the call.

Good Night to you, too, Mr. Invader.

~~~

Stuck in the usual traffic, Noor lets her eyes wander off, to the street side.

Almost every woman, she saw, wore a niqab; not that she was complaining. The niqab is her identity, yet, many women in the Saudi Arabia adopt the niqab, in order to seal themselves, from the male-gaze.

The women are told to lower their gaze and guard their modesty, while the men are left about, like free horses, making them, not so worthy citizens of the country.

~~~

"You want me to ask her?" Noor hears Fahad say, on the phone. She spots Danice, nearby.

She hides behind the wall, after coming to the conclusion that, Fahad is going to propose to Danice, now.

A chill passes throughout her body. Nevertheless, she resumes walking towards the other side of the corridor.

She walks one step after another waiting for some movement. But, nothing happens, except for the shuffling of urgent feet.

She turns around, only to find an abandoned corridor.

Oh! She had just misinterpreted the conversation. She knocks the side of her head, hastily, before exiting the office, to grab herself a quick, Starbucks-Cappuccino.

~~~

Noor's phone rings, as she sips on the cup of coffee.

"Hello," She picks up the call.

"Asalamualikum," Ameena greets, from the other side of the phone.

Is she going to ask about Danice?

"Asalamualikum Aunty, How come you called? Long time,"

"I just wanted you visit you,"

"Oh! When Ummi Fahad?"

"Tomorrow?"

"Sure, but, why?"

"Oh! I just wanted to discuss, some things, with you,"

"Oh, sure! Tomorrow, it is..."

"In sha Allah," Ameena lowers the phone, in an attempt to disconnect it.