Chapter-36: "She will...My heart says so,"

Noor → Fahad

I am leaving for Sudan, Fahad. Don't worry. I will be back, in a month. In sha Allah.

I am sorry. Family matters. I will explain when I come back.

Noor immediately switches her phone off, after writing this text message, to Fahad.

~~~

After cleaning the utensils, Fahad sits down, in order to rest. His mother wasn't feeling too well, today. So, he had decided to wash the dishes.

He wipes his hands, with a paper towel, before grabbing his phone.

Noor's name on the notification bar brings a smile to his face. The smile, however, vanishes, when he reads her text.

He is heartbroken, would be an understatement. His mother would be furious, came up as an after-thought.

He turns his hand around, and casts a doleful look, at the band of silver, which has bonded them, together.

He knew, that, she may have had urgent matters. But, his mother wouldn't understand.

~~~

"Ammi, Noor has left for Sudan,"

"Kya, woh bhag gaye?!" What, she ran away?!

"Why?" Her tone is venomous.

"Some urgent family matters have come up," He states while toying with his ring.

"Family? She didn't have a family. I am sure, she made a fool out of you," She snarled.

"Ammi!" Fahad raises his volume. "She wouldn't lie,"

"Fahad," Ameena grabs onto his face, firmly, "Love has made you blind,"

"Yes, maybe, it has," Fahad admits. "I won't let you say, anything, bad about her."

"What will the people say?" Ameena sinks into the couch. "The preparations, the arrangements..."

"We can postpone them,"

"How are you so sure, that, she will return?" She looks at him, with blood-shot eyes.

"She will...My heart says so,"

~~~

Noor's arrival in Sudan is delayed by 1 hour. After a very tiring flight, she is greeted by a gust of cold wind.

Inspector Habeeb solemnly greets her, before directing her, towards the military vehicle.

After a 13 hour drive, with occasional stops, they arrive in Al Jazirah. Unlike Sudan, Al Jazirah is a forlorn land, dotted with old ruins.

"We will stop, here," Inspector Habeeb orders. The driver pulls over.

Noor climbs out, of the back seat. She dusts herself, before taking in the sandy scent.

Since Noor had started at the break of dawn, she had arrived, by 8:30 a.m. The night has already taken over, making it fit for them, to rest.

They would start for the tribal clan, at the break of dawn, which is only an hour's drive, from their hotel.

~~~

Noor sips on cereal, which the hotel has served, for breakfast. It wasn't that bad – the hotel, in general.

The hotel is covered in cream wallpaper, with a well-lit lobby, which is rare, considering the frequent power failures. There aren't many people, except generals, workers and rescue missionaries.

~~~

"Asalamualikum Khala Zainab,"

"Walaikumasalam,"

"We are calling off the wedding, until further notice,"

"Kyon?" Why?

"It is a family matter,"

"Let me guess...your bride ran away. Who told you to marry your son off, to a kali, huh?"

Ameena coils her hand, in anger.

"Allah Hafiz," She hangs up, not being able to control her anger.

She wipes her eyes, with the back of her hand.

"Ammi," Fahad hugs his mother. "This is in our Qadr, Ammi. Every thing is in Allah's hand,"

Ameena rests her head, on Fahad's shoulder, as he sits, by her side.

Fahad couldn't see his mother, in so much pain. He couldn't change Allah's plans, either.

~~~

Noor's shoes get covered with mushy sand, as they walk deeper, into the forest. The road had ended, long ago, and the arduous trek, they currently are on, wouldn't end.

Finally, they make their way, through a clearing. Noor stares at the sight before her, in astonishment.

The officers had already seen the place, before, but, Noor hadn't. There are so many huts, with thatched roofs, amidst the forest.

Children play in the lake, while the women cook, on earthen stoves. The smell of roasted chicken, whiffs by.

Inspector Habeeb exchanges a few words, with the head of the tribal clan, after which, he directs them, to a comparatively bigger hut.

Inside it, reside many young men. It would be hard to identify her brother, with the similar face paints, they have on. But, for Noor, it is quite easy.

"Amir," She calls out, quietly, as she approaches a young man, who sat, in the farthest corner of the room.

He looks up, instantly – his eyes, scrutinizing Noor.

Sister? "أوختي"

Yes, my love? "نعم حبىب"

He immediately, engulfs her, in his arms. She lets the tears flow – happy tears.