Chapter-29: "I like you,"

Noor scribbles a quick, yes! before dismissing him.

Sahil, Amy and Jennie figure out, that something had happened, because their boss, stumbles with her words, for the rest of the meeting. But, they kept mum, until later.

~~~

Once in a while, Noor would visit the female staff washroom, to ensure that, her staff has all the facilities, she has.

Today, she is visiting, again.

Upon entrance, she hear the constant sobbing of Safiya! Safiya wipes her bloodshot eyes, as she notices her boss, enter.

"Asalamualikum, Ma'am," She greets, between hiccups.

"Walikumasalam," Noor replies, while hugging Safiya.

Noor knew how it was, to feel in pain. She always wanted a hug, but, there was nobody, who could give her, one.

"What's the matter?"

"My mom wants me to get married,"

Safiya is one of their hardworking employees, who works in the Advertisement Department.

"Ok? What's the big deal?"

"Well, you see, this man, firstly, is a 30 year old; 10 years older than me." She holds 10 fingers out. "Then, his mom has strictly said, that I can't work, after marriage,"

"Then, I will have to move back to India; to this village, which I don't know. They have outdated minds; must I add,"

"Calm down, Safiya. You are the bride. Allah has said, that you have a say in, in choosing your life-partner."

  A woman named Khansa Bint Khidam once came to the Prophet and complained: "My father has forced me to marry my cousin in order to raise his own status (in the eyes of the people)." 

The Prophet told her that she was free to dissolve this marriage and choose whomever she wished to marry. 

She replied, "I accept my father's choice, but my aim was to let the women know that fathers have no right to interfere in the marriage." (Ahmad, Nasa'i and Ibn Majah)  

"I clearly have a say," She states, while being clearly sarcastic.

"Baba is saying, that this guy is a deal-breaker,"

"Why? All guys are the same," Her mind wanders off to a certain someone.

"He has a lot of money,"

"Bah! All female parents are the same, I believe," Noor states, while recalling the same situation, faced by another staff member.

"He looks like a troll. When I told my mother, that I don't want to marry him; she said, actually mocked: 'You are a true believer of Islam. Marriage is compulsory, in Islam. You need to get married,' "

"What about fulfilling the basic criterion of being a Muslim: Say the Shahadah, Pray, Fast, Give Zakat, Go for Pilgrimage! I wanted to add. She can only see the part, where marriage is compulsory,"

Noor takes in a deep breath, and instructs Safiya to follow suit.

"Whatever happens, happens for a reason! Sometimes, things do not go, as you expect. But, they will turn out, in your favor, if it were in your Qadr," She drops a kiss on Safiya's forehead, before leaving her, to comprehend on what she had just said.

"Don't worry! I will talk to your Mom, In sha Allah,"

~~~

Children are Noor's weakness. She couldn't resist a child.

Today, she held onto a stranger's baby, who she had spotted, while returning from a meeting with the Food Stuff team.

She coos in her ear, as the baby's mother cleans the mess, the baby had made.

"Ma sha Allah," She mutters, to the baby, as Fahad steps out of the car.

"Hey Baby," He pats her cheek, gently. The baby smiles.

"See...The baby likes me,"

"Why will she like you?" Noor questions, while looking at the baby.

"I like you. You like her. She likes me," He smiles, at Noor.