Chapter-35: "You will have to choose..."

Noor drives, Fahad, Shahina and Ameena to the Riyadh Avenue, to buy some wedding clothes, for herself, after being persuaded, by Shahina and Fahad.

After getting through the traffic, they arrive, in the parking lot, of the shopping complex.

Upon entrance, they are greeted by hoards of people. Where do these people come from? Wailing babies, consoling mothers...it looks, like a scene, from a fish market.

After searching for an elevator, they find one; filled with people!

After making their way out of the elevator, they let their eyes wander off, to the stores, before them.

Harvey Nichols. Ameena orders her son, to wait patiently, outside the shop.

"We would return in 20 minutes," She promises – a promise, which could never be fulfilled.

An hour, after what had been promised, the trio return, with one, white - garment bag.

Inside it, is a white, full-length gown, with swirly designs, elegantly stitched, into the long sleeves. A charming, tulle, waistline gown, with beads, like that, of dew drops, in the early morning.

Fahad sighs, before, leading them, towards the food court. In the middle of the meal, Ameena announces, "We also have to go, to the tailor. That would take around 15 minutes,"

Fahad now, knows exactly, how much time, it is going to take!

~~~

Laced in a pair of sneakers, Noor straightens the tables, as the clock ticks by; moving closer to the time of the arrival of the visitors.

Bon Appetit, it reads, as you enter into the open field, filled with colorful tents of food and games – for children and adults.

The sun is about to set; the remains of the sunlight glamorize the sky until it fades. The stadium lights, are then switched on, as darkness surrounds; illuminating the venue, as people, finally, trickle in.

Children are all around, and so are adults – having a fair share of the sugar candy, with the kids.

The employees of the Cups and Cakes Inc. are surrounded by a different aura – a lively, cheerful one!

The fundraiser comes to an end, with a gracious total of 2500 SAR.

~~~

Days, are going by, so quickly, Noor realizes, as she looks through her planner.

Her nikah is in a week! Her house is in a mess, with papers, clothes, accessories, and other items, littered, around.

Her fridge is stashed, by Ameena, with skin-enriching foods, to give her skin, a healthy glow, on her wedding day.

They were going to have, an Arab wedding, followed by, an Afghani reception.

The phone rings, from the bedside.

"Hello?"

"Inspector Habeeb, here,"

"Asalamualikum," She greets him, with caution, as if, she is waiting for bad news.

"This is urgent, Ms. Noor. You will have to fly to Sudan, by tomorrow, to reconnect with your brother."

"What happened?" She questions, alarmed.

"Well, your brother is in an unrecognizable state. People are saying, that, it is him, but, you need to confirm it, for us,"

"Well, can't this wait, till the next week. I have my nikah, in a week,"

"Your brother has been found, with a tribal clan, who refuse to give him to us, without actual proof. Plus, they will be moving, by the day-after-tomorrow,"

"I-"

"You have to choose, Ms. Noor...between your brother and fiancé,"