Ch. 23

C H A P T E R   XXIII

(3 R D  pov)

'War is cruel. It takes the strong down and feeds on the weak. I have fought in more battles in my life than any other shinobi. But my luck had run out.'

"D-Damn it!" A young Akashi laid on the outskirts of the battlefield with blood from his side pouring out into his hand. He knew he only had minutes to live. 'If only...I...' The pain was too excruciating to even think.  

The faint explosions and yelling from the heated battle he escaped from was becoming a washed out blur. His vision was starting to become hazy. He leaned his head against the tree he had poorly hidden himself behind. His throat bobbing harshly with each swallow. 

'So this is how I die....' It was sad to think but true.

As he sat there, he cursed everything in his life that had gone wrong. He cursed his clan, his enemies, this war.

He was only 20. A boy without a family, living under the emblem of another clan, surviving in a corpse, and destined to lie in a pool of his someone else's blood. It was the same way his parents had died. No one from his clan had ever died as themselves. 

His fingers that were clenched tightly around his wound slowly began to release. 'No point...' The blood now freely oozed from the deep gash. His skin was becoming paler under the bright sunlight. His eyelids were slowly drawing to a close.