Ch. 49

C H A P T E R   XLIX

M i k u b a e 's     pov

I released a heavy sigh once finishing the final touches on the nursery. It took us quite some time to get this place prepared. After months of work it was finally finished. The cradle that Mito-nee had given to me as a baby shower gift sat in front of the window that outlooked the garden. Everything was in full bloom right now. Dragonflies hung around the small pond, birds chirping in the hanging tree, and the melodic symphony of the compound's chatter faint in the cool wind. The house smelt like sweet fruits and seasoned fish that some of the kids in the compound had brought to me. This place was so different - in a good, homey way.

The walls of the room had been painted a royal blue with the Uchiha crest drawn beautifully like a hanging flag. Scattered on the floor due to the lack of space on the singular shelf Shinji had installed were hundreds of different stuffed animals. All gifts from my child's future family. Everyone in the Uchiha clan were excited to finally greet my baby. The old ladies came over constantly, sharing some tea with me while giving me tips of their own as mothers and grandmothers.

My stomach was absolutely huge. I'd stopped wearing my kimonos and now wore simple, flowy dresses. I thought of how hilarious I must've looked as I waddled down the halls with a panicky Shinji trailing behind, begging me not to trip on my own feet.

There was still a good month and a half left. Before leaving, Ashina-san mentioned that the jinchurikis were expected to have an extra month in their maternity cycle. The reason for it still wasn't clear. Kurama supposed it was probably because my body was housing two entities so the baby's growth took a bit longer due to a lot of my energy went to keeping his power under control. 

My joking reply was," So basically you're saying I'm housing two babies inside me." He was not happy at all. He still wasn't talking to me in fact. In the back of my mind I could hear him grumbling in his domain I had gifted him last winter.

 "Mikubae-sama, do you need help in here?" I looked over my shoulder at Shinji. He was carrying a stack of papers he no doubt was taking back to Madara's office. He was the only person I shared the contents of Madara's letter with.