Ch. 46

C H A P T E R   XLVI

(3 r d   pov)

It was only a few days after the recent chain of events. As expected, some members of the Uchiha Clan grew suspicious with the sudden increase of patrolling. But with Shinji's excellent skills in deception, he managed to clear any inquiry. Mikubae started looking better. She returned to the hospital much to her co-workers' relief, although there were few who treated her like a stranger.

Many of them reassured her that her connection to the Uchiha Clan and her child would have no effect on their relationship. What mattered to them most of all was that Mikubae was still willing to help Konoha's hospital reach new extents of medical care despite all the recent discrimination. It took some convincing from the pregnant woman to get the Uchihas to allow her to return to work without any bodyguards.

The condition was that Mikubae was to be escorted to and from the hospital; she also could not use any chakra. Both demands were agreed upon.

Things were...going as smoothly as could be expected. Until one morning when a ruckus occurred outside the Uchiha Main Household. A determined Mito was having a full blown argument with the Military Police ordered to watch over Mikubae whilst Shinji was taking care of political matters.

The red-haired woman's stomach looked just about ready to pop. Her due date was soon. Very soon. She should've been at home waiting for the joyous moment when her child would be born. Instead, she was using that fierce Uzumaki spitfire to get through the guards.

"I demand to speak with her!"

"We told you already, Senju," the guard hissed with narrowed eyes. "No one outside the clan is allowed to see her. Especially not you scum who threw her out! Now get lost or we'll remove you ourselves."

She wasn't backing down. Mito was absolutely relentless. Without wavering, she said again in a gutsy voice," I.Demand.To.See.Her. I won't leave until I do!" The Uchiha who had warned her clicked his tongue. With one step forward, the others followed. "Damn you-"

"Yuji." The entire group froze. The leader - Yuji - spun around to find Mikubae standing on the porch with one hand caressing her own bulging belly. "What are you doing?"