{ 6 } Caught

"Somebody better tell goggle boy to keep it shut," Murphy threatens, turning to pick up a knife.

I stop in my tracks, looking towards the two. I feel a pang of protectiveness over Jasper hearing that. It spikes a fear that someone else might be killed because we choose it.

I'm about to storm over but Bellamy turns, grabbing my elbow. "We don't need another outburst, Avalon. Especially not after your show last night." He sneers, looking me dead in the eye.

I shrug away, turning towards Murphy who watches me carefully. "Good thing I'm not your problem." I murmur, carefully watching Murphy twist the knife in his hands.

He turns to look at me, a deadly look in his eyes. They go blank, all void of emotion.

Murphy smirks for a second, then throws the knife with as much force as he can muster towards the tree. It hits with a thunk, falling to the ground. That was his problem, too much force- not enough technique. But the action spoke more than that . It was a warning, sending shivers up my spine.

I hold out my hand, waiting for the familiar feeling. Bellamy wouldn't go unarmed, especially after being a cadet.

Then, the cool metal is placed in my hands, the blade sharp. It feels normal as my fingers curl around it so hard my knuckles turn white.

Staring Murphy down, my jaw sets in defiance. I place my feet square towards the target, ten feet back from where Murphy stands. I rear my arm back, letting the knife fly from my hands and sail directly over Murphy's shoulder.

I hold his gaze all the while, the knife thudding into the tree. I smile calmly- some could say creepily calm.

With that, I turn without a glancing back at the boy.

I walk into the clearing, Bellamy behind me. I look at him out of the corner of my eye, the sides of his mouth turning up . I raise my eyebrow. He couldn't possibly be impressed by something as small as that.

"That's how it's done."

~

My skin goes icy, my feet frozen to the ground. Jasper screams out in pain, so loud the whole camp could hear it. Goosebumps crawl up my arms, Octavia running up to me.

I grab her arm, the both of us ducking inside the dropship. We climb up the rungs my feet almost slipping from how rushed this was.

I pull open the hatch, the moans only becoming louder.

Octavia follows, rushing to Jasper's side. "Stop it, you're killing him!" She argues, but as soon as I walk over, kneeling by them I realize Clarke's idea. Cauterize the wound, cut away infected flesh.

"It's okay O, they're cutting the infected flesh away. It helps stop spreading, right Clarke?" I look to the blonde who nods, sweat starting to form on her forehead.

"She's saving his life." Finn adds, and I lick my lips. He was awful fast at protecting her.

A clang interrupts the conversation, Bellamy climbing up. "Oh lovely," I sigh, wiping a cloth over Jasper's forehead.

"You can't save him." Bellamy interjects, his face reading anything but concerned for Jasper's safety.

Everyone goes silent, a quiet but sound disagreement. Wells stands up with a heavy sigh. "Back off." He says, and I look over my shoulder. Bellamy will take that as a challenge, which never ends well for the person on the opposite side. He knows how to get people on his side. Or more- He already has them.