{ 22 } Useless

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

" integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful "

" integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful  "

How blind could I be, to not even consider the fact that what happened to me, could have happened to Finn. The knife that stabbed him, had been coated in some type of poison and I didn't even stop to consider it.

Clarke, Octavia and I barge through the hatch, and I stare intensely at Miller, knowing my icy eyes can be intimidating- slightly creepy. He backs away, Clarke storming over to the grounder with the knife in her hand.

I take the few extra steps to stand at her right shoulder, Bellamy on her left. He sends me a confused glance, and I explain shortly, fumbling with my fingers.

    "The knife that stabbed Finn, it was poisoned." Bellamys lips purse in anger, his jaw clenched. I cross my arms, tilting my head upwards to watch the grounder carefully.

I wince, Clarke's voice ringing in my ears. "What is this? Is there an antidote?" She demands, brandishing the knife in the grounder's emotionless face.

    "Clarke, he doesn't understand you." Octavia speaks up, and I look over my shoulder, the both of us sharing a knowing look. He had said one word to me, and it was to save my life. This time, Bellamy and Clarke thinking he didn't speak English would save his.

Bellamy moves to stand in front of me, his eyes blinking quickly. "The vials." He mutters, his eyes asking me the question. I nod, the two of us rushing to where Miller set them down.

I slide open the cover, but Clarke hastily grabs it from my hands, moving back to the grounder. "Which one?" She looks up desperately at him, the grounder just tilting his chin up stubbornly.

    "Answer the question!" Bellamy barks, and I flinch away from him, aware that his tone could lead to something more.

    "Please, just show us." I plead, Octavia nodding in encouragement. Clarke drops the bloodied knife from her hands, clanging to the floor.

I was at a crossroads, knowing it wasn't only Finn's life at stake here. But I just didn't know how to save both, every situation I come up with in my head involving one dying. Disregarding that, I know Finn wouldn't want to live at the cost of someone else's life. He was too selfless for that, yet I don't know if I can allow that to happen.

    "Which one? Our friend is dying down there, and you can stop that." Fear floods Clarke's voice as she holds the vials, the grounders one non-swollen eye blinking slowly, a muscle in his jaw feathering.

He truly acted as if he couldn't understand us, and they bought it. It makes me wonder if they're instructed to do that— it would keep them safe and their secrets hidden.