{ 21 } Back up

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

" our doubts are traitors, and make us loose the good we oft might win by fearing to
attempt "

I jump down from the ladder with a loud thud, everyone's head snapping towards me and my blood soaked hands

I jump down from the ladder with a loud thud, everyone's head snapping towards me and my blood soaked hands. I feel a pang of guilt, but it soon disappears as I see Finn lying on the table barely breathing.

I inhale slowly, knowing I would have to deal with Bellamy later. No matter how much I wanted revenge for Finn, torturing the grounder would only cause more graves in this camp. His people would find out, and come after us when we have no way to protect ourselves. I just have to know where to draw the line.

    "Alright Clarke, what can I do?" I sigh, walking towards the table, once again dunking my hands into the moonshine. I pick my head up, meeting Clarke's gaze that runs cold, sending goosebumps up my arms.

    "You knew." Is all she says in response, and I blink quickly in surprise. I don't deny it, pinching my lips together.

I close my eyes, pressing my wrists to my temples which throb in pain. "I need answers, and you need help." I state in response, dodging her question while answering it.

Someone bumps into Clarke as she inspects his wound, and I turn around, a deathly glare in my face as today's events wear me down.

    "Everyone, upstairs now!" I shout, hoping they wouldn't marvel at the grounder too much, knowing some of his blood was on my hands.

As soon as everyone exits upstairs, Abby's voice cuts through the room.

    "Okay Clarke, you need a firm grip on the knife. You're going to need to angle it upward and to the left, very slightly as it exits the ribcage." Abby instructs, and I make mental note in case something happens.

     "How very slightly?" I speak up, needing everything to go perfect. Finn's life was on the line, and I won't loose him because I miss a step. I was the back up plan, and I wasn't going to take the chance of slacking off.

My fingers go to my mouth to nervously chew on the nails, but by nostrils flare from the moonshine. Then they rest by my sides, steady as ever. Clarke, on the other hand, seems shaky.

Raven paces throughout the room, and I almost snap at her to stop, let Clarke think. Instead, I keep my mouth shut as I watch Finn's chest rise and fall unevenly. We're all anxious, and knowing Raven, she would be too stubborn to stop.

     "Three mi-" The radio cuts out, thunder booming overhead. I grind my teeth, painfully aware of the fact that we're in an enormous metal conductor.

    "Three millimeters. Got it?" Abby clarifies, and I nod my head as I run through the list in my head one more time, Clarke answering aloud.