{ 44 } Prey

CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR

they are the hunters, we are the foxes— and we run  "

"  they are the hunters, we are the foxes— and we run  "

Monty and I creep through the darkness, guns in hand. Monty holds the walkies Raven and I had made, which to be fair, we were quite proud of. The had multiple different frequencies for certain walkies, and could prove to be really useful.

"I thought you said we were heading west? Where are you?" Monty says into the radio, and I stifle a laugh, knowing we had to be quiet. I look up to the sky checking the moon. West would be to the left of that, if I was correct. Lincoln had taught me how to figure out directions, since I had gotten lost on the way to his cave one day.

"Just keep the moon on your left and you'll find us." Bellamy's voice cuts through the radio, and I smile to myself realizing we thought along the same lines.

"We need to veer a bit to the right," I add to Monty, the two of us sharing a look. Something felt off, the hair raising on my arms. I had the strange feeling that we were being watched like prey.

A noise goes off, like a signal. Eerily like the one in the black box. I stop in my tracks, near a bush. I arch an eyebrow at Monty. "Like the black box?" I ask, and he nods in confirmation.

"Is anyone else hearing the signal?" Monty questions into the radio, the sound making goosebumps rise on my skin. It was like the signal was blocking our transmissions.

Is quiet for a moment before anyone responds.

"Just keep your eyes open." Raven informs, and I scoff at her dismissive tone.

"We think it's the same one from the black box. Like it's interrupting," Monty adds, and I glare at him after his voice rises. He winces, and I smile in the dark. Guess I can still be intimidating.

"Damn it Monty, pay attention. Do you see anything?" It's Bellamy's deep voice once again, and Monty begins walking up the hill. I turn around, looking behind us for any signs of anyone. I still felt like another pair on eyes were watching me, waiting to swoop in.

And then someone lunges, one arm wrapping around my waist, the other around my mouth. I yelp lightly, the person's arm pressing down on my still bruised lung. I resist the urge to scream, first twisting aorund to see who. The figure drags me back into the bushes, shielding my body from sight. After doing so, they pause, letting me look.

Lincoln. Except he was dressed in the heavy clothes that marked him as a warrior, one that would soon be sent to kill us.

I open my mouth to say something, but Lincoln puts one finger against his lips. I can't see anything, and I'm scared as to why he pulled me away. Monty could be in trouble, and I was hiding away. I make a move to get back up, Bellamy's voice floating through the woods once again. Lincoln grabs ahold of me, stopping me from moving. I glare at him, attempting to move once again and failing. I couldn't leave Monty alone out there.