{ 7 } Stay With Me

My fingers work away, slowly separating the wires and panels. It's comforting, the methodical process of it. Something to focus on other than Jasper or the camp.

"No!" I hear Charlotte screech from next to me, but before I can move, Bellamy gets up and gently wakes her.

"Charlotte wake up." He whispers, placing a hand on her leg, sounding genuinely concerned. My lips part in surprise; he was probably used to this, having Octavia. I just never believed it, but apparently I should.

I look up, my hair clinging to my neck. The oil spills over my hands, and it has a smell that makes me nose wrinkle- it's been a while.

"I'm sorry," Charlotte apologizes, and I smile sadly. She has nothing to be sorry for, if anyone should be sorry, it's the Ark. They ruined us.

"How long has this been going on?" Bellamy asks, and I look up to help. I've known about her nightmares, but haven't found a way to stop them. I take her hand in mine, squeezing it with a smile.

The girl sighs, unable to answer.

"What're you scared of?" Bellamy presses, his dark eyes assessing Charlotte, trying to read her. "You know what? Doesn't matter. The only thing that matters, is what you do about it. " He tells her, fiddling with his hands.

I arch an eyebrow, Bellamy continuously surprising me. He cares about Charlotte. So he cares about something.

"But I'm asleep." Charlotte adds, a tear falling down her face.

Bellamy sighs. "Fears are fears. Slay your demons when you're awake, they won't be there to get you when you sleep. " Bellamy explains, resting a comforting hand on her knee.

Charlotte's eyebrow creases in confusion. "Yeah, but- how?" She asks, wiping at her face. Understanding that down here, fear kills you. I should listen to that.

"Fear is weakness. Down here, weakness is death, fear is death," Bellamy watches her expression change, her eyes staring back. Something flickers, and her gaze goes unafraid. "Let me see that knife I gave you. Now, when you feel afraid, you hold tight to that knife and say, screw you, I'm not afraid." He tells her, the knife in between his hands as he holds it out to Charlotte. Her hand slips from mine to take the knife.

I see his point. The knife symbolizes bravery, or hope. Either way you see it, you can use it as a way to find what makes you happy and unafraid.

Charlotte takes it gently in her hands. "Screw you, I'm not afraid." She mumbles, and I turn to her my eyebrows raised.

"Come on Charlotte, you can do better than that." I chuckle, smiling. Bellamy and I lock eyes and, I realize he does feel a same sense of protectiveness over Charlotte. I had Raven and Finn, he had Octavia to learn that from. In one way, we are the same.

"Screw you. I'm not afraid." Charlotte states, her voice louder and more sure. I grin, Charlotte returning it.

The three of us share a smile over the small victory. "Slay your demons kid, then you'll be able to sleep." Bellamy rubs her back quick, then returning to his spot across from me.

"Like I said, Charlotte. Down here, we can be who we want to be. You don't have to be afraid of them. It's your choice." I mumble, giving her a quick squeeze before returning to the engine.

The slick oil covers my hands, without a funnel to pour it into, it was difficult. Then, I smile. The spark plug is uncovered.

A bag rustles, and I see Bellamy sit up from his position.

"You know, you're noisy when you do that." He mutters, his dark eyes looking up through his eyelashes at me. I shiver, a gust of wind sending goosebumps up my arms. I didn't come very prepared.