Chapter 1

Edited by: @RonnyRotten  RonnyRotten

There are three important steps in a werewolf's life; the first will be their first shift; the second will be their first hunt; the last one, will be when they meet their mate for the first time. It was supposed to be the most wonderful thing in the world when two mates meet. I expected when he saw me for the first time that he would welcome me into his arms lovingly. I expected words of love spoken to me but what I never expected was to be rejected by mine.

The sky was the color of a pale gray, the wind blew hard, whipping the branches on the trees in a fury as I looked at my mate who stood on the stage in the middle of the field with his arms wrapped around his chosen. The ache in my chest and the tug in my bond was too much and a tear slipped from the pools of tears that were brimming in my eyes. I inhaled sharply to stop the pain that was building in my chest as I see my mate leaned in to kiss his chosen on the cheek. My wolf howled sorrowfully inside of me and I couldn't help but let us both dwell in each other's pain.

After he pulled back, his dark blue eyes sought mine. When he found it, his gaze remained stilled and I stupidly pleaded with my eyes to him, telling him to choose me. He turned his gaze away from me and all I wanted to do was run away from the scene in front of me but I stood and looked at them.

He looked handsome with his blonde hair blowing in the wind. His boyish smile shining to his pack. My wolf whined and begged me to take what was given to us by the Moon Goddess herself but I couldn't. The woman standing next to him was my older sister, his girlfriend, the one he has always loved.

How cruel was fate to pair me up with my sister's boyfriend? The one male I couldn't have. At this moment, I hated fate. When my sister turned to me I put on a fake smile and clapped my hands. The tears on my face mistaken for happiness. After she looked at me she turned back to what would be her pack and gave them a good Luna smile.

My parents knew about it but I begged them not to tell anyone who was my mate. They stood next to me and looked at what should make them happy but at the same time they were torn because their other daughter was in turmoil. My sister only knew a made up name of who my pretend mate was. She didn't know the truth. I squeezed my mother's hand and she turned to look at me with her loving chocolate eyes.

"I'm ok, mom." I whispered. She lifted her other hand to my cheek to wipe away my tears.

"You are ok, darling." She said quietly before turning to look at her other daughter.

After my mate gave his speech about their official Luna to them he turned towards my sister and pulled her into his arms where he pulled back her hair to expose her neck. His canine flashed for everybody to see and my heart stopped beating. My breathing became labored and I squeezed my mom's hand in a grip that I knew must be painful for her.

I'm okay.

I'm okay.

I'm okay.

I chanted in my head as I kept looking straight ahead and I felt it. I felt it the moment my mate bit into my sister. A searing pain shot through my heart and my body vibrated. I let out a strangled scream and clutched at my mom's arm. She turned to me immediately.

"Harold!" She shouted. My dad came to my side immediately and picked me up and I began feeling the world shift under me. A whimper escaped my lips as the ache in my chest magnified.

"Mom..." I roughly whispered out tears running down my cheeks. "Dad..."

"It's okay, honey. Breathe. Breathe for me." My dad soothingly urged me.

"It hurts." I cried. "Why does it hurt so much?"

"It will be over soon." My mom's voice broke into my haze of pain.

I felt myself being placed on a soft bed of pillows. The burning sensation from my heart burned into my neck. I felt like a porcupine who had all her spikes removed and now she was left in only her skin with no barriers to protect her from any pain. The rawness of the pain was killing me slowly. My eyes fluttered closed and I felt a hot liquid run down my mouth to the back of my throat.

"Swallow." My mom urged and I gulped it down. "Good girl."

It didn't take me long but soon after I allowed darkness to take over and fell asleep. The fiery pain in me slowly dimming.

When I awoke, I heard whispers outside my bedroom. There was a harsh voice who demanded obedience as he spoke. My father's voice growled out an angry no to the other person but his harsh bark back at my father silenced my father's disobedience.

The door to my bedroom swung open and a comforting and beautiful smell swept into the room. My heart began aching and my chest rise and fell rapidly. I refused to open my eyes to meet the person I did not want to meet.

"I know you are awake." He said huskily. My eyes fluttered opened to meet his and I felt the familiar strong tug at my heart again.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I came to see if you are okay." He replied as he sat down on the bed. "I am sorry, Patience. I am sorry fate made us mate but I cannot have you as my mate. I love your sister."

I gulped the lump in my throat and nodded. "I told you I understood. Please leave, Alpha. I do not want to see you. It would only make things difficult on my wolf and I."

"Patience..." He exhaled slowly and his hand moved to touch my cheek. Sparks flew and my body responded immediately. I turned to look at him as my body couldn't stop responding to him.

"Please." I whispered gruffly. "Please leave me alone."

He sighed and I felt the bed lift as he stood up and walked to the door. He stopped before opening it and turned to look at me. His eyes looking me over carefully before he opened it and walked out. My heart felt like it was being ripped in two. I felt like I have died and my heart was burning in fire oil.

My dad came walking into the room and he sat in the same spot that my mate sat in. He sighed and looked at me sadly.

"I couldn't stop him. I am sorry, Patience. I tried."

"I know, dad." I replied.

I inhaled deeply, I made my decision. After seeing what happened today and talking to him. I have decided I shouldn't sit and wallow like a pathetic reject. I wanted a second chance. I wanted someone who cared for me. I turned to my dad a look of determination on my face.

"Dad, I want to go to the yearly hunting game next week."