Chapter 3

The hunting game was held on neutral territory by the Alpha King. The land was a 100 acre land of just woods, rivers, streams, and heavy thick grasses. We stood at the north border of the territory in a single file line. All female were ordered to stand in a single line with a red cloth over their eyes. There were excited voices and whispers amongst the females and I can distantly hear the whispers of the males that were a couple of miles away from us.

The wind was harsh today and before they had placed the cloth over my head I saw a glimpse of the gloomy dark sky. The wind whipped harshly against our bodies and a faint sweet woodsy scent trailed my way. I inhaled deeply and felt my uneasiness fade away but as quickly as it came it disappeared.

The rules of the hunting games are simple-you have to be a rejected wolf or your mate has died in order for you to participate. In our world, male dominated female and so the urgency for a male to find a female was higher than a female needing to find a male. The female were behind a white line with a cloth to cover their eyes so that they do not seek their own chosen; we are ridden of that obligation. The male wolves were given a chance to look at their choices and once every male has had the chance to see. Females are released into the woods for the males to chase.

Personally, I hated the rules. It was sexist but it is put in place for a reason. I exhaled slowly as the announcer announced the first group of males to approach us. I think in this hunting game we had well over 100 females and more than 150 males.

The process took a long time. I felt and smelt every male that walked by and sniffed us out. It wasn't until I smelt that sweet woodsy scent again that my heart started being fast. It crawled closer to me and I brought in my lower lip in between my lips to stop the rising emotion inside of me. My wolf was on alert as she also adored the smell as much as I did. I felt a male nose on my neck as it gently trailed from my shoulder to the crook of my neck. A shiver ran down my spine. No males have done this to me except this one but my body responded with tingles and the smell of him was intoxicating.

I can feel the power of him radiating through to me. He was making his presence known to my wolf and I. He was marking his territory and learning it carefully. I swallowed hard.

When his nose reached the crook of my neck where my pulse beats a low throaty growl rumbled from his chest and then his and trailed up my arm sending a spark down to my core. No words were spoken. It was just his nose and lips trailing from my neck to my jaw. When he got to my ear he spoke in a low raspy voice.

"You're mine, ma cherie." His accent was prominent as he spoke huskily. He then nipped my earlobe before licking it gently and pulled back.

I bit my lip so hard it bled and then I felt his finger on my lips as he pulled it out and used his thumb to wipe and sooth the pain before he was gone and the smell of him became distant. Who was this male? He scared me and at the same time excited me. I felt something I thought I would never feel again. I felt hope. My wolf was hopeful and she was reflecting it to me.

"You may take off the cloth around your mask." The announcer spoke and I slowly lifted my hands behind to remove my mask. My eyes adjusting to the light around me and when everything became clearer my eyes darted up to look at the tall male announcer who was dressed in formal wear for royals. He had a white jacket on with a blue sash that wrapped around his shoulders.

"The male has until dawn to catch their chosen of female. Females have a thirty minute head start. On my mark, you will make a run into the woods. The border and end of territory is marked with red coloring. Make sure you do not cross over." The counting had my heart skipping with anticipation. When the announcer counted to ten the horn blew and I burst into a run. A part of me was thrilled at the chase. Another part of me was afraid of who would be catching me. No females will go unmated after this.

When we were closer to the edge of the woods, all females began taking off their clothes and shifting immediately after. I took one glance behind me and saw that the males were also taking off their shirts revealing their naked bodies slowly one by one. My gut twisted and I ran faster, shifting in air and landing on my paws. I ran for the thrill and the anticipation.

Loud ferocious growls were heard from behind us as the males asserts their dominance. I jumped over a log and then walked through a small stream, shaking my fur when I got to the other side.

I trotted alongside the stream until I hit a clear opening with high grass. I saw a little birdie flying around and my wolf and I got temporarily distracted with jumping and barking at it playfully.

The thought of males behind me temporarily forgotten.